Thread: Work in Progress

Work in Progress

Worked in the shop this afternoon instead of on the shop. This hollow form is Post Oak; a wood that has defied my attempts at drying in the past. This piece had some character with dark color, nice grain and some voids from a nest of carpenter ants. I turned it fairly thin while wet, sanded it and applied one coat of tung oil. It is about 7 inches tall. Now I will wait and see if it just warps like crazy or tears itself apart. At least I have this picture. Comments and/or critiques welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Certainly an interesting chunk of wood with its grain and color. I'd look forward to seeing a pic of it after it dries. Did you hollow by hand or with a rig?

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    Certainly an interesting chunk of wood with its grain and color. I'd look forward to seeing a pic of it after it dries. Did you hollow by hand or with a rig?
    I used an arm brace with both straight and swan neck type tools; guess that qualifies as "by hand". On taller forms, I normally use a captured system for the deeper parts.

The shape and wood are both superb--was the post oak hard?

I think the shape is nice and like the character added by the ants. I sometimes use Danish oil on green wood with the thought that it would slow drying and prevent cracks. I'm not sure, but think it helps. Do you use Tung oil or a tung oil finish (like Minwax) on it?

Very nice! I like the form and the wood certainly reminds me of walnut! I hope it holds together for you while drying!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I love the form! I like that walnut color, too. Post oak has a special place in my heart - I turned my first bowl and vase from a post oak in our yard. Hard as the day is long, but pretty! My pieces didn't crack much, if any.