Thread: Applewood bowl with some spalting and natural coloration, 13.25" X 3.5"

Smile Applewood bowl with some spalting and natural coloration, 13.25" X 3.5"

Returned the base and finished this warped Applewood bowl, it has color and stripes and the wilder grain of crotch wood plus a knot to top it all off .

I rough turned this a few years ago and was just in time doing that, as the one limb had broken off and the wood was starting to decay, not soft yet but close.

As I like Applewood bowls with some natural distortion, I turned this to a thinner wall so as not to return it when dry, I like the change in shape and all the color and grain of this bowl

All comments welcome 1thumb.gif

Apple bowl.jpg Apple 1.jpg Apple 2.jpg Apple 3.jpg Apple 4.jpg Apple 5.jpg Apple 6.jpg
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 01-28-2015 at 2:20 PM.
    Have fun and take care

I love apple bowls too. good job

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Jechura View Post
    I love apple bowls too. good job
    Thanks for commenting Dan
    Have fun and take care

That is great color and hard to believe that it warped so much without cracking. Another wonderful bowl Leo.

I often think of bowl turning as a conversation with nature. First nature has its say in the growth and sometimes death of the tree. Then we as woodturners get our say, imposing a shape on the green wood. Then nature has a further say creating warping. We can continue the conversation by returning the bowl, forcing our view on the shape, or allow nature its say and leave our final say to just the finish.

With dry wood, this tends to be a one-way conversation.

I often agree heartily with allowing the warping when it is this dramatic and am glad that you did too. Fine job as always Leo. I enjoy looking at your work.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I really do like it Leo as it has a rustic look to me.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Williams View Post
    That is great color and hard to believe that it warped so much without cracking. Another wonderful bowl Leo.
    Thanks Paul , Apple is one pretty wood, I love turning it, to bad the bigger old Apple trees are getting hard to find.

I know many turners are saying the Applewood splits on them, I have never had that problem, giving the wood time to adjust to the change of the moisture content while drying and it won’t split, that’s why I have and still am using the brown paper bag.

It helps to slow down the drying so the inner sap can keep up with the outer sap as it is evaporating out of the wood, that keeps the tensions low, it is also that by changing shape the tension doesn’t build up and is released, and so there’s no reason to split anymore .

See I rather have a bowl that has no splits, that took a little longer to dry, than one that’s split but dried a bit quicker, I also don’t have to try to hide or “enhance” a split or two
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 01-29-2015 at 6:25 PM.
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    I often think of bowl turning as a conversation with nature. First nature has its say in the growth and sometimes death of the tree. Then we as woodturners get our say, imposing a shape on the green wood. Then nature has a further say creating warping. We can continue the conversation by returning the bowl, forcing our view on the shape, or allow nature its say and leave our final say to just the finish.

With dry wood, this tends to be a one-way conversation.

I often agree heartily with allowing the warping when it is this dramatic and am glad that you did too. Fine job as always Leo. I enjoy looking at your work.
    Thanks Thom , It certainly is a good idea to know what the wood will be doing, trying to prevent that or force it and you end up loosing in the end Attachment 305483
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Matheny View Post
    I really do like it Leo as it has a rustic look to me.

Sid
    Sid, thank you very much for your comment , I do appreciate it
    Have fun and take care