Thread: I Want to Identify this Plane

I Want to Identify this Plane

I picked up this plane in a auction I forgot I bid on. It is a Stanley 6 but I cannot find a patented date anywhere. It has a blade with Stanley SW. There is nothing on the frog. The jappaning is good, the knob and tote are in excellent shape rhe knob has a couple flecks of paint. The tote still has part of the Stanley decal. Can anyone identify what year this from?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chuck Hart; 02-09-2015 at 9:15 PM. Reason: spellingf

Blog Entries
    Most likely a type 15. Ring around knob base, no patent date, arch topped frog.

1931-1932

https://home.comcast.net/~rarebear/p...ing/typing.htm

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Chuck,

+1 on Jims ID.

Stew

I looked at the web site. No orange lever cap. The markings for "Bailey" "Made in U.S.A" and "6" are not as described but that may be that it is a larger plane than the one shown. I am going to clean it up and see if I find anything else. I am really surprised at how wedll the japanning has held up. There is some rust and I am going to try and clean it but I don't like using electrical method or harsh chemicals. I hope the rust just cleans up with soap and manual labor. The sole is flat so that's a big help also. Thanks for responding I just couldn't find any reference for no patent date.

Chuck

Blog Entries
    Chuck,

The type studies are just a jumping off point. Stanley used stock on hand to build planes. They had no inkling of people being interested as to when a plane was made.

Sometimes parts may have been changed in captivity as some might call it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hart View Post
    I looked at the web site. No orange lever cap. The markings for "Bailey" "Made in U.S.A" and "6" are not as described but that may be that it is a larger plane than the one shown. I am going to clean it up and see if I find anything else. I am really surprised at how wedll the japanning has held up. There is some rust and I am going to try and clean it but I don't like using electrical method or harsh chemicals. I hope the rust just cleans up with soap and manual labor. The sole is flat so that's a big help also. Thanks for responding I just couldn't find any reference for no patent date.

Chuck

http://www.timetestedtools.com/typin...ch-planes.html

a couple of notes, most type studies were based on a #4 size, so difference sizes may vary, and as Jim stated, its not unusual to find mixed parts, either from the factory or they have been changed over time.
    Don
    TimeTestedTools