Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mission style End Tables out of Figured Walnut

Before I saw the photos I was thinking how much more appropriate QSWO would be. Now I'll shut up.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful material, great craftsmanship. A real nice looking set that will be enjoyed for a very long time.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks again to everyone. I'm pretty happy with the way it came out, but of course I notice the flaws and have things to focus on for the next build so they don't show up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollingsworth View Post
    Before I saw the photos I was thinking how much more appropriate QSWO would be. Now I'll shut up.
    It certainly is the proper and traditional wood used, yes. You also see it in Cherry and perhaps one of the Mahogany species as well. Not too common to see it in walnut, though.

I took a chance making my coffee table out of walnut (with some curl in it for the top, straight grain elsewhere), and really liked the look so I'm continuing the whole Walnut Arts & Crafts trend in my entire main floor. Next up is a storage chest, followed by a Bookcase and a Morris Chair. I'm going to wait until we move to build a dining table and chairs, however.
    Last edited by Jeffrey Martel; 02-02-2015 at 10:26 PM.

If you are a user of Sketchup, Jeffrey, take a look at the bow-armed Morris chair I did and put up on the 3D Warehouse. It is a close copy of the one American Furniture Design sells plans for, and is simply the Stickley original with these changes: flared legs, and curvature given the side rails. My model was done as a study to see how well it might all be joined using Festool dominos, and shows all the domino joinery. No mortises, no tenons.

There will definitely be some work in jigging to get the parts cut and carved with the domino mortises, though. The chair would look spectacular in your walnut.

The very same model with the swapout of legs and side-rails and their pickets, turns into the Stickley classic, and the same domino joinery will work.

I recently completed two done to the Stickley lines and await the upholstery work.

Stickley took a look at the American Furniture Design idea and now offers the same.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for that, Gene. I'll keep your design on file, and probably tweak it a bit. I haven't found one that is 100% like I want yet, but this is another option to consider. I do like the flared legs, however.

I don't have a Domino, and was planning on doing traditional mortise & tenon joints as I have been using on most of my projects recently.

Walnut is one of my favorites - My wifes favorite for sure. Very nice work!
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

Very nice work, and great walnut. I like the design !