Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plywood Door Painting

Plywood Door Painting

I'm planning on building some cabinet doors, for my shop, out of plywood. I plan on making partial inset doors and painting them. Question, what do I use to prime/cover the ply so it doesn't look like painted plywood ends? Thanks.

Oh, and I plan on rounding over the edges, so edge banding will not work. Something to fill in the ply end so I can paint it.

You might consider MDF, so you have a consistent surface as you round over the edge.

I have made painted cab doors from 3/4 birch with edges rounded with a 1/4" radius. I primed then sanded x3 before 2 coats of enamel.

Vinyl spackle, lightweight spackle, Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty, Crawford's spackle, drywall mud, etc. Basically any putty that dries/cures hard and that you can sand. Of the list above, I'd probably go with the Crawford's (green can, not orange), or a setting-type drywall mud (powdered) as the easiest to work with, easiest to sand, and least amount of flash after primer (the mud would flash more than the Crawford's). Several of the others would be great, too, but you would want to sand them soon after they set, as they get harder to sand the longer they cure (Durham's, vinyl spackle).
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    I have made painted cab doors from 3/4 birch with edges rounded with a 1/4" radius. I primed then sanded x3 before 2 coats of enamel.
    So the primer did fill in the voids so you ca't tell it's plywood?

I have never worked with Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty, and my dad just happens to have some. He hasn't used it either. Any insight of how one would use it for this application?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W Pugh View Post
    So the primer did fill in the voids so you ca't tell it's plywood?

I have never worked with Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty, and my dad just happens to have some. He hasn't used it either. Any insight of how one would use it for this application?
    Durham's Rock Hard putty is my go to putty for painted projects. Mix it up kinda thick like a joint compound and spread it on with a putty knife, making sure to get it in to the voids. If its not into the voids well enough when you round over with the router the hardened putty could just pop out. Durham's is dreamy stuff, but not always the best adhesion.

Don't mix up too much at a time it hardens quite quickly and clean your tools immediately afterwards (just water) or the stuff will harden on it and you'll have to chip it off. I use a lid from a coffee can as a hawk, but any plastic thing like that would work just fine. Stay away from using wood as hawks, tend to dry out your putty quicker.

But you might wanna consider edge banding with thicker material say ¼ or ⅜" and then rounding that over. The door edge, if using a hard wood, will be much more durable.
    Last edited by Judson Green; 01-31-2015 at 5:36 PM.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Durham's is plaster of Paris with some sawdust mixed in.
    It dries real hard - maybe too hard since it is on the brittle side.
    That's just my speculation/apprehension though.
    I've used it quite a bit on doors which we later painted & it's held up fine for the last 6 or so years.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

It's a shop right? I wouldn't do anything and call it a feature
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I did that in our dog room. The plywood was 3/4 Birch from Lowes, but that's been 8 years ago. I think I used some varnish I had leftover from another job, and it sanded out really smooth. For little holes, I probably just used Elmers nail hole filler. Here's a link to the picture on my Wife's website. Good enough for a dog room.

http://www.starbornhavanese.com/images/DSCN5733.JPG

Of course I sanded before the primer 100/150/220 but the primer will fill the pores. I find the primer easier than putty even if it takes more coats. Rock hard putty is just that - much harder than birch plywood. The primer sands like.......primer

I use bondo for such things. Cures really fast, sands well and stays where I put it!

Some really good suggestions already. Although I really like using Bondo, for edges and things - I like something I can apply easily with my finger, like Durhams

Another product that work well is "Bondo 907 Glazing putty". (Comes in a tube like toothpaste and you do not have to mix hardener with it). You can find it just about anywhere

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Regarding the flat surfaces - at this point I really like working with 3/4" MDO for anything that gets painted. Although I am paying more (approx $60 a sheet) there is virtually no prep needed on the flat surface and you really have to be doing something wrong to get tear outs or splinters when cutting

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schuch View Post
    I use bondo for such things. Cures really fast, sands well and stays where I put it!
    Me too! Well, not necessarily 'bondo' brand, but one of the better autobody fillers, or finishing putties such a Rage Gold.

They adhere to most anything, spread easily, harden quickly ,sand really well and obviously, take paint really, really well.

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    It's a shop right? I wouldn't do anything and call it a feature
    I agree, but everything I do in the shop is practice for the big game later in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W Pugh View Post
    I agree, but everything I do in the shop is practice for the big game later in the house.
    So you're planning to make plywood slab doors for inside your house?
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.