Thread: Parallel Clamps

Parallel Clamps

What size parallel clamps do you use most frequently: 12", 24", 31", 40"?

Blog Entries
    24" clamps are used the most. But the most indespensable are my larger 60" clamps. You can usually put smaller things inlarger clamps.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I use the 24 and 31's the most. I do have some 12" Besse Uni Clamps that I like for the smaller stuff because they are lighter.

I only have 24, 36, and 48. That is what is available at my local Menards. I also have F clamps in 12, 24, 36, and the small F clamps in 6, 12 , and 18. The 24's get the most use. I also like my I beam clamps for gluing up panels. Only get the old pipe clamps out when everything else is in use.

I have more 24" than other sizes, but I couldn't do without the 40" and a few 60". They type of projects you do will dictate what's best for your shop.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

12s and 24s. I have everything up to 60.

Jack

I have 12s and 31s, so I reach for the shorter ones more often than not.

Mike

24's by far. But that is because I don't have any 12's. Wish I did but I have to make do for now. Just did a clamp-up where I used all 10 of my 24's and wished they were 12's. All I have are 10 24's, 6 40's, and 2 60's. I would love to have 10 12's too but right now my heart belongs to a SuperMax drum sander who is playing hard to get. Just the other day I realized I should buy a bunch of 12" threaded pipe to make better use of my old pipe clamps that have gotten very lonely ever since I discovered parallel clamps. In this case at least, they would have been perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    24's by far. But that is because I don't have any 12's. Wish I did but I have to make do for now. Just did a clamp-up where I used all 10 of my 24's and wished they were 12's. All I have are 10 24's, 6 40's, and 2 60's. I would love to have 10 12's too but right now my heart belongs to a SuperMax drum sander who is playing hard to get. Just the other day I realized I should buy a bunch of 12" threaded pipe to make better use of my old pipe clamps that have gotten very lonely ever since I discovered parallel clamps. In this case at least, they would have been perfect.
    Do you have a way to cut and thread pipe? You could cut the pipe you have now and get some couplings and make 'em as long or short as you need.

No way to thread it. I do use couplings now to make odd lengths sometimes.

I'm thinking 18" pipe might be more useful than 12" since you lose about 4".

I find the heavy duty f clamps to be very handy. They have a deep reach, about 5", and already had 10 of the 12", then Menards had a great sale for Christmas, so now I have 18.

12" Bessey's by far. Then the 24". The longer ones get a lot less use. I have a few 3/4" pipe clamps for really long stuff (about 6 feet long).

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

My smallest parallels are 24". By far, these get the most use because in general, I like to use the smallest clamp that will do the job. Most panels and cabinet doors are less than 24" wide. I recall seeing a year or so ago that one guy bought 24" clamps (the Jorgensen Cabinet Master's) and cut them down to 18" and 12" just to have some smaller options.