Thread: Return To The Community Bowls

Return To The Community Bowls

The AAW has a program called Return To The Community at the national symposium in Pittsburgh this year. Bowls are sold for $25.00 and pens for $15.00 with proceeds going to a local charity. Being a part of the local chapter we have set a goal for a minimum of 75 bowls. Started on my contribution today with this cherry bowl. This cherry is reclaimed from some 16/4 planks I came across when a local construction company was closing. 10" D x 3.25"H. Anyone can donate bowls or pens. Details can be learned from your local chapter.

1cherry4.jpg1cherry3.jpg1cherry2.jpg

Sounds like a worthy cause! Nice form on the bowl! I find it interesting how the color changes in each photo such that the first looks like Cherry, then Walnut, then Maple... cool effect! Hope your club exceeds their goal! Have fun!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

The AAW does this every year I think. Last year it was the Empty Bowls thing which is national. I will have a couple of madrone bowls with me to donate. Some of the bowls last year could have gone for considerably more than $25.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Sounds like a worthy cause! Nice form on the bowl! I find it interesting how the color changes in each photo such that the first looks like Cherry, then Walnut, then Maple... cool effect! Hope your club exceeds their goal! Have fun!!
    Steve, the color changes because of my poor photo skills and the lighting. It actually has a nice deep reddish color both inside and out almost in-between the shades of the first 2 pics. I've got enough for maybe a dozen more so I'll have to keep a couple of these so I can see how dark they get over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    The AAW does this every year I think. Last year it was the Empty Bowls thing which is national. I will have a couple of madrone bowls with me to donate. Some of the bowls last year could have gone for considerably more than $25.

robo hippy
    Last year the charity that benefitted was Seeds for Autism, a Phoenix based charity that works with kids and young adults in the autism spectrum learn crafts like woodturning, jewelry, metal work, weaving, etc. The local sponsoring chapter(s) determine the local charity that benefits from the return to the community booth every year.

David, a little post processing will do wonders. The GIMP is available free for all platforms, but whatever photo processing software you have generally has a color setting to let you set the white levels. hint: look for a setting called 'level'. Generally, you would use a picker tool to find a spot that should be white (or grey or black) and tell the software to adjust the colors accordingly. I know some that put a piece of white paper in the picture near an edge to use to adjust level and then crop it out. Professionals have a special card that is a standard mid-grey as picking grey is actually better.

BTW, very nice form on the bowl.

I contributed some when the Symposium was in Tampa. The charity handled the sales at the symposium. My bowls did not sell there, but the people handling the sales said they had a gallery that was handling the post-symposium sales and they knew mine would sell for a nice price there. There were some *really* nice bowls donated.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Thanks for the info on GIMP Thom. I'm using a program called Photo Explosion SE that I think needs to be upgraded to get those features. Messed around with it last night but didn't help much.