Thread: question for the users of acrylic blanks

question for the users of acrylic blanks

I bought some of the red and white stripe acrylic blanks, and the blue with white stars. I want to combine pieces of both blanks for some projects with a tube. What glue/adhesive do you use to glue the blue to the red and white blanks, or how do you do it?
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

I've used both CA and epoxy when gluing acrylics together. Just make sure you use enough glue and pressure so you don't get any gaps between the colors...
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

I cut to length and drilled the blanks then used CA to glue then together at the same time I glued in the tubes. I used a small clamp to provide end to end pressure, but I really don't think it mattered. I think you could hold with your fingers and shoot a little accelerant on the joint. Very important to have a square cut.

Brian

If you are using a 2 piece pen then what most people do is make the cap with the blue and the stars and they make the body with the red and white blank. Comes out well. If you are combining on a one piece tube then I suggest you follow what Paul said. But it is important to keep things square and straight or else the hole will be drilled at an angle and it will show. Now if this is something other than a pen then we may need to have more info.
    John T.

When I glue Corian to wood or two Corian colors together I color the five minute epoxy to prevent a dark line at the joint. As already suggested I glue the tubes in when I join the blanks together. This works with acrylic blanks as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Keith,

What do you use to color the epoxy, and does it have any effect on the strength of the epoxy?
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

I've used just about everything to color epoxy including sanding dust but most of the time I use acrylic paint that I purchase in tubes. I use just enough paint to get the color I need and no more, this doesn't seem to weaken the adhesive bond enough to be a concern. I have never had one of the joints fail yet. I use this same technique to color fill inlays and engraved areas on pens and even large signs.