Thread: Festool OF2000 & OF2200

Festool OF2000 & OF2200

I have a Festool OF2000 router and while it is not the worlds most wonderful router, it is grunty as heck and does the things I want a router to do. I thought I would look at an OF2200 just because really. Just looking at its features will sort of make your mouth water if you like routers.

Then I looked at the weight. Good golly that is a big boy. It weights in at a hefty 17lb. apparently dwarfing my 2000 at a mere 11.7lbs I think. I know it is somewhere above 11lbs approaching 12.

I don't really have a problem maneuvering a 2000. Glad it has a soft start as you can feel the grunt even with a soft start and I am glad the power switch is located near the grip and not up and away from the grip as they are on so many routers. I would rate power to weight as manageable for that router. I was just wondering if people have gone from one router to the 17lb OF2200 and if the weight made a noticeable difference. Maybe there is a positive aspect to it...like more weight making all that grunt more manageable. Plunge routers tend to be a little top heavy to begin with although again maybe the 11lbs of the OF2000 is just right for me.

In my case just seeing the weight spec of the OF2200 kinda' surprised me and I started to look at the size of it in a whole new light. Had visions of being hidden behind my router with nothing more of me visible than my fingers wrapped around the grips!

Anyway just really wondering how folks that have used the OF2200 or seen it or even folks that have just seen that weight spec have thought about it if anything. I have to think hefting around a 17lb router made some kind of impact. I know I would at least note the difference just in the heft of it.

James

I have the OF 2200. I also have an OF-1400, two Porter Cable 8529's and a Porter Cable 890.
    The OF 2200 is incredibly smooth and well balanced ergonomically. It is leaps and bound above the PC 8529's and those are nice routers on their own merit. You do not notice the weight of the OF 2200 when it is in operation. It's obviously more powerful than the OF 1400, but just as easy to operate.
    It is not a router that should be relegated to the router table. It is designed to be handheld from the ground up. It's the nicest router I've owned/used to date.
    A person could not go wrong owning an OF 2200. It was my first Festool purchase.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)