Thread: Which buffing wheels and abrasives for a Baldor.

Which buffing wheels and abrasives for a Baldor.

Hello All

I've got a Baldor 332B Grinder/Buffer. It's 3/4 hp & 1800 rpm's.

Can someone "please" point me in the right direction as to which 2 wheels that I need to buy to buff bowls or pen blanks with? Also which abrasives to use on the wheels. I've heard of different systems, but I am assuming that I can get away with 2 wheels or 3 if I have to change on of them on the last stage of buffing (if 3 are required). Hoping to get my lathe soon and would like to have the buffer set up to go. Truthfully, I've never used on before for anything, except maybe high school many years ago.

Where to buy would also be helpful. Thank you so much.

David
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

I think the hard part will be finding a 3/4 inch arbor on the buffing wheels, unless Baldor carries them. All I have seen are 5/8 or 1/2 inch arbor holes.

robo hippy

To buff bowls, a shaft extension is needed to get the clearance to do the inside of he bowls. I was lucky and purchased a 1-1/4" x 12" shaft from Don Pencil for my Powermatic 3520B before they were discontinued. I also have the 8" with 1" and 1-1/4" thread for buffing. These shafts fit the lathe spindle and are powered by the lathe. I will use my little Nova Comet II midi lathe for smaller pieces and interior , and use the 1-1/4 x 12 for exterior and larger pieces. I do not see a need for a separate buffing machine.

Thank you both for responding. I've been busy but ironically I actually have a huge Baldor distributor near me in Michigan. I'll have to take a drive over and see where I can obtain a 3/4" arbor.

I received the Buffer/Grinder as a favor for helping someone with home projects, otherwise I would do exactly what you have suggested Thomas. But since I have the thing and it looks brand new..., I'm gonna use this puppy

I sincerely appreciate both of your responses. Thank you so much.

David

Google Caswell Plating, they probably have the sizes you need and they have some tutorials on what wheels and compounds to use. It is not a woodworking oriented business, but it has some good prices and the "How to buff and polish" section s worth the read. I buy all of my knife buffing supplies, wood turning buffing supples along with all of my other buffing supplies from them.

I just checked Caswells site and they do carry 3/4" buffs.
    http://www.caswellplating.com/buffin...l-4-x-1-2.html

I have never used Caswells buffs as I had already bought a set from Beall when this site was pointed out to me. Prices and selection are good, and quality was claimed to be top rate.

I would use their flannel buffs for the final buff, cotton for the first buff. Beall uses a combination for the middle buff. Tripoli on the first buff, white diamond on the second. I use the final to buff off hand applied wax.

You want unstitched or loosely stitched with only the one ring in the center.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    I just checked Caswells site and they do carry 3/4" buffs.
    http://www.caswellplating.com/buffin...l-4-x-1-2.html

I have never used Caswells buffs as I had already bought a set from Beall when this site was pointed out to me. Prices and selection are good, and quality was claimed to be top rate.

I would use their flannel buffs for the final buff, cotton for the first buff. Beall uses a combination for the middle buff. Tripoli on the first buff, white diamond on the second. I use the final to buff off hand applied wax.

You want unstitched or loosely stitched with only the one ring in the center.

Thanks Thom, all that info really helps, a lot! I'll definitely be ordering from them.

David

8. I have the long shaft Baldor buffer with a 3/4" shaft and buy my buffing wheels which are the same as used in the Beall system from Klingspor. I get them at the store but you can buy them through their on-line catalog. Here is a link.

https://www.woodworkingshop.com/sear...buffing+wheels

Thanks Darrell. I'll be checking them out as well. Much appreciated friend.

David