Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any of You use a Scroll Saw?

Any of You use a Scroll Saw?

I had someone ask what I would give for a scroll saw. I responded, "nothing." I have never run across a situation where it was needed. At the shows, I see folks using them and small lathes to make trinkets. Nothing wrong with making trinkets, but it's not the place where my woodworking focuses. After all, what could a scroll saw cut of practical value that the 24" Italian band saw can't?

My Hegner was one of the first power tool purchases, when I started.

It was one of the first power tool sales, shortly thereafter.

Exactly, I was given a cheap scroll saw which I played with a couple times and then promptly broke. Frankly the thing scared me w/ the arm flying back and forth.... stupid I know. Anyways never need one for a real job. Ended up using the motor to make a sharpener.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

I was given a Powermatic green with racing stripe probably 20 years ago. I don't remember ever turning it on. I expect someone uses them.

They are great for small, intricate cuts like one might do for inlay and/or marquetry.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

i use mine quite a bit, mostly for veneering jobs.I just finished a bar top for a designer I work with that wanted brass inlay's, scroll saw worked great for that.There is a big difference between a cheap scroll saw, and a good one.The cheap ones will just frustrate you and make you never want to use it.You also need to use them fairly often, or you will get rusty.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    They are great for small, intricate cuts like one might do for inlay and/or marquetry.
    +1 Same thing I use mine for.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Scroll saws like many wood working tools take practice to get perficant. I'm not very good on mine but getting better. I forget the name but their is a web site for scroll saws. The folks over their do amazing work with scroll saws.

Guess I was just wondering what folks did with them. The only thing I have seen demonstrated is making ornaments and such. Seems like a lot of new folks and "advanced" folks get into them. Not sure where they fall for me.

I bought a "Dewalt" when Delta closed them out for almost nothing.
    It is great for cutting pills in half.
    I am hoping someday to find a woodworking use for it. Maybe if I bought better blades...

Friend asked me to cut out some 3/8 thick pine butterflies for a playground project a couple or three years ago. Used a twisted blade and was kind of fun in that you can cut in any direction without turning the wood with that blade. Wouldn't try it on thick stock, though. As best I can remember, it has sat next to my cyclone, doing the same job (Collecting Dust) every since.
    Last edited by Dick Brown; 02-02-2015 at 10:05 PM.

I use mine a lot for making odd shaped holes both for work pieces and templates. Not used often but does cuts the bandsaw can't or where I don't want or need the bandsaw kerf showing through.

This is what I do with my three scroll saws. I use them about 330 days a year. I sell all that I make with them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

I tried using an old Delta saw a couple years ago. Apparently I wasn't doing stuff right because it never worked correctly. Kept breaking blades, even in 1/4" ply. For my marquetry stuff I just use an exacto knife at the moment. I plan on building myself a Chevalet, however.

Made on a scrollsaw.

IMG_0681.jpg
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale