Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever tackle a Radial Arm Saw rebuild?

Anyone ever tackle a Radial Arm Saw rebuild?

I'm doing one now. I figured I didn't have enough incomplete projects, so figured I would start another one.

It's all disassembled, some parts painted, and some already back together. It's a '68 Rockwell 33-694 "Plus 10", which means it's a 12" RAS. Go figure.
    Not much doc on the internet about it. A couple for sale, and I did find the parts diagram over on Vintage Machinery.

Only thing I've needed to order so far were 5 bearings - one for the column up/down screw (marginal) and the 4 for the yoke-to-carraige connection (toast). Once I get into the motor, I might need more. The saw turned on when I plugged it in with the switch was in the OFF position. It has a 240 plug on it, but seems to be wired for 120 inside. I was hesitant to touch the frame with it plugged in!! All the wiring insulation was brittle and cracked everywhere. I'll get some pictures later.

I acquired this the summer of '13 when I bought a big lot of tools at auction. This was one of the "Oh, I get that too?" machines that came in the lot.

Todd

I have done a DeWalt MBF and currently have a GWI. Probably the easier of my rebuilds.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rebuilding old iron can be challenging. But it's very rewarding.
    Delphi has a Dewalt RAS forum. There's some information about Delta's on here.
    I'm suprised the vintage forum didn't have more info.
    Here's my restored 1956 vintage Dewalt MBF.

12137-B (428x640) (3).jpg12137-C (428x640).jpg
    Jim Davenport
    Reporting from the depths of the Magic Garage

Funny you should ask! I'm in the middle of an MBF rebuild myself--things were going great until I got to the motor (needs bearings). I cannot figure out how to remove the fan from the shaft in order to get the back bearing out?? I think the fan/shaft is splined, the fan is "pot metal"? and I'm hesitant to muscle it off. I tried using my heat gun but no luck there.

Anyway it's been sitting for quite some time now but I figger I'll have an epiphany any day now.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Volden View Post
    Funny you should ask! I'm in the middle of an MBF rebuild myself--things were going great until I got to the motor (needs bearings). I cannot figure out how to remove the fan from the shaft in order to get the back bearing out?? I think the fan/shaft is splined, the fan is "pot metal"? and I'm hesitant to muscle it off. I tried using my heat gun but no luck there.

Anyway it's been sitting for quite some time now but I figger I'll have an epiphany any day now.

Bruce

The fan on the MBF is just pressed on the shaft. You need a gear puller to pull it off but don't pull from the outside of the fan. DAMHIKT.

I did a partial restore on a GWI about 20 years ago; mostly just replacing the carriage bearings and a few missing parts. It ran great until last year when I noticed the blade took a long time to stop and the cut quality had diminished even with a newly sharpened blade. Hmmm, time for new motor bearings. Getting the motor apart is pretty easy - getting the fan off can be quite a challenge. You definitely do not want to pull on that pot metal fan. If you have a large arbor press it's really easy, but I did it with a modified gear puller. You have to put wood or metal bars under the fan right up tight to the shaft and pull on those. It will come right off.

Except for the motor Dewalt RAS's are pretty simple machines and not very hard to get back into good working order. I went through the owner's manual to get everything aligned properly when I first rehabbed it and have only had to readjust the carriage once or twice in all the years I've been using it.

Edit: If you don't want to replace the bearings yourself you can send the motor to Wolfe Machinery and they will do it for you. http://www.wolfemachinery.com/

John

Nice looking saws guys! Got any before pictures? Here are my before pictures. Not that bad, overall. Missing a few do-dads here and there.

Just a guess, but to me, it looks like a plus 10 is the 10" saw with a larger blade guard to take a 12" blade.

Hank Metz, a member here, has a nice youtube video on rebuilding a DeWalt. Try under 'Beachside Hank'.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    Only thing I've needed to order so far were 5 bearings - one for the column up/down screw (marginal) and the 4 for the yoke-to-carraige connection (toast).

Todd
    If the carriage bearing have round outer edges they may be a little hard to find. Beachside Hank did a post here repairing carriage bearings. I also did the same for my Dewalt GWI bearings, pop off the metal seal on one side and clean out all old sawdust and grease, and repack with grease and reinstall seal. Low speed bearings never ware out.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 02-03-2015 at 7:33 PM.

They do have round outer edges, and I found them for $8.25/each at Accurate Bearing. The replacement bearings are apparently Nachi 81004. My originals are MRC 200 SFF 23. Perhaps mine are just goo'ed up too. When spun (rolled), they grab and let go and grab and let go. There was a lot of heavy grease in and around the bearings and the machined tracks. I did see Hank's video, so if the new bearings arrive and aren't the right ones, I'll do what you and Hank did.

The gearbox bearing for the vertical screw that raises and lowers the column is a NICE 603 1/4. Accurate Bearing had that too. $6.00.

I'm having a heck of a time finding a replacement 2.5" knob for tightening the table boards. They are a press fit with a 5/16" hole. Both of my rods that attach to these knobs are bent, but fixable. If I can't find one replacement, then I'll get two replacements so they match.

The two rectangle bars that the tables sit on are bent up too. I can flatten them, no big deal.

I was able to get my column to a mirror finish with some maroon scotchbrite and Autosol metal polish. It looks awesome. I also used Autosol aluminum polish for the column crank arm, one of the cam clamp knobs and the top miter gauge - they all look brand new.

I would like to find a new IN-OUT Rip Scale. My red pointer was bent into the scale, and galled into the aluminum the scale for its length along the outer rip scale. But, alas, it is also no longer available.

Here are a couple progress pictures.

IMG_1275.jpg IMG_1274.jpg IMG_1276.jpg Radial-arm-saw-legs.jpg

I'm using Rustoleum Dark Machine Gray for the frame, legs, column and overarm and Light Machine Gray for the carriage and yoke / motor (yoke and motor not painted yet).

I would have preferred flat over gloss, but gloss is what was on the shelf.

Question… what's the best way to clean up the data plate without loosing the original black and red paint? I'm using TSP (premixed) for the iron parts. It works amazing, but I feel it would be too aggressive for the data plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch View Post
    I would like to find a new IN-OUT Rip Scale. My red pointer was bent into the scale, and galled into the aluminum the scale for its length along the outer rip scale. But, alas, it is also no longer available.
    Todd
    When I did my Dewalt Radial Arm Saw, I also had rip scales that where damaged. My son and I used Window's Excel to make printable decals replacements, they came out very nice.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 02-04-2015 at 4:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hotchkin View Post
    [/U][/B]Todd
    If the carriage bearing have round outer edges they may be a little hard to find. Beachside Hank did a post here repairing carriage bearings. I also did the same for my Dewalt GWI bearings, pop off the metal seal on one side and clean out all old sawdust and grease, and repack with grease and reinstall seal. Low speed bearings never ware out.
    The GWI carriage bearings are still available from the Original Saw Company. They cost about $120 for four of them. Usually the orignal bearings can be cleaned and reused.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hotchkin View Post
    How do you pop off the metal sides?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Volden View Post
    Make a backer board out of 3/4 or 1" ply. Pull on that with a puller.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night