Thread: How would you apply a single, small piece of veneer?

How would you apply a single, small piece of veneer?

I'm in a bit of a transition period and don't have access to a vacuum press. I need to apply commercially purchased veneer (no backing, just a tissue-thin piece of wood) to a thin panel about 13" square (both sides to be balanced, obviously). Without having access to a vacuum press, I'm unsure of how to pull this off. Because I will eventually get back to vacuum pressing, I don't want to make a huge investment in something like a screw-type veneer press. Is there an economical and yet good-quality way to apply veneer to a small panel like this?

Thanks.

Have you got a bottle jack or a scissors jack in your car? You could build a simple frame from 2x lumber. The work between waxed paper and plywood platens. bottle jack on top between top platen and the top of the frame.

Yeah, someone else just mentioned using a jack which reminded me that I have a hydraulic press. The problem is that it's in the (unheated) barn and it's the middle of winter. Also not sure what sort of glue to use if doing it that way.

What glue would you use in the vacuum press?

I'd probably build a frame to use a jack instead of of going out to the cold barn.

Make a panel sandwich clamp all with deep clamps for the middle and plenty of clamps around the perimeter OR better yet make up some small cauls.
    Don't over think this.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Consider this: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...98,43314,51167

Pretty cheap when you consider the time and materials to make something.

And use this glue: http://www.veneersupplies.com/produc...or-Medium.html

Other options are using weight, contact cement or use a heat activated veneer.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

Hot hide glue. Put it on with a paintbrush, lay down veneer, squeegee it with a brayer, done. No clamps, no fuss. If you get a bubble it's easy to fix with a warm iron.

Alternately put a coat of regular titebond on each surface, allow it to dry for a day, then bond the veneer to the substrate with an iron (plain yellow aliphatic glue heat activates quite nicely.

However you do it, remember to veneer both sides of your substrate (doesn't need to be the same veneer) lest you end up with a potato chip.

Just sandwich it between 2 layers of 3/4" ply on each side. Clamps around all the edges and you should be able to get a large wooden handscrew to clamp down on the center. If not, make up a pair of curved cauls. I use titebond cold press glue. I have had problems with regular Titebond II coming through the veneer. Never had a vacuum press or a veneer press, and I've done as large as 28"x28" using this method. Start with the clamp in the center and work your way out or else you'll get ripples from the glue being not able to squeeze out.

Next project will be using hot hide glue and hammer veneering, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Martel View Post
    Just sandwich it between 2 layers of 3/4" ply on each side. Clamps around all the edges and you should be able to get a large wooden handscrew to clamp down on the center. If not, make up a pair of curved cauls. I use titebond cold press glue. I have had problems with regular Titebond II coming through the veneer. Never had a vacuum press or a veneer press, and I've done as large as 28"x28" using this method. Start with the clamp in the center and work your way out or else you'll get ripples from the glue being not able to squeeze out.

Next project will be using hot hide glue and hammer veneering, however.
    +1. For the temperature problem, get an electric blanket and throw it over the work after you clamp everything up. Leave it overnight - the blanket will get everything hot enough for the glue to set.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

+2. I've done panels as large as 24" wide with the veneer panel sandwiched between melamine panels and a set of cauls made from 2x.

good luck
    c
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

+1 on the hide glue if you can't bag it.

If you have access to rafters from the floor above,
    you can 'spring' a set of boards to make a press.

I have had good results using nothing more than a couple of
    plywood sheets (3/4" thick) wax paper and a few weights.

If the substrate is flat, and the veneer thin - it's pretty straightforward.
    If hide glue is used, and you're unhappy with the results a little heat
    will be all that's needed to try again.

An iron will do the trick. Set it on high, apply glue on both surfaces and press it like you would a shirt. Same concept as a hot press.

Blog Entries
    http://www.amazon.com/Ziploc-Space-B...ds=vacuum+bags

This might work. You evacuate the bags with the shop vacuum cleaner.