Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Good Plywood At Home Depot

A Good Plywood At Home Depot

HD plywood is often "trashed" here and for good reason. Not this time

I am building a 60" floating vanity and needed some carcase plywood.

Home Depot had a lumber core 3/4" plywood. It was three ply with a surface veneer of about 1/16" covering the lumber core on each side. I bought two sheets and I was very pleased. Solid hardwood lumber core to hold screws without splitting veneers and NO voids. This is a good product for shop cabinets, utility projects, etc. I found it in the Trumbull, CT HD and it is sold as "Sandeply" from Equador. However, this is not the usual 5 ply Sandeply with tissue thin veneer.

This is the one and only time I saw this product and I don't know how widely it is being distributed. It was $44.95/sheet
    Last edited by Paul Wunder; 02-03-2015 at 6:08 PM. Reason: add price

I've never had good luck with Sandeply, but have found the stuff from Columbia Forest Products is better, though not cabinet grade exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Wunder View Post
    HD plywood is often "trashed" here and for good reason. Not this time

I am building a 60" floating vanity and needed some carcase plywood.

Home Depot had a lumber core 3/4" plywood. It was three ply with a surface veneer of about 1/16" covering the lumber core on each side. I bought two sheets and I was very pleased. Solid hardwood lumber core to hold screws without splitting veneers and NO voids. This is a good product for shop cabinets, utility projects, etc. I found it in the Trumbull, CT HD and it is sold as "Sandeply" from Equador. However, this is not the usual 5 ply Sandeply with tissue thin veneer.

This is the one and only time I saw this product and I don't know how widely it is being distributed. It was $44.95/sheet
    I've found and used the same plywood in two different stores in Northern Illinois. It stays flat.
    Wood'N'Scout

Incredibly, my local HD had a skid of 3/4walnut veneer plywood for sale just last week. I'm assuming the supplier made a mistake delivery.

I have been using a poplar ply they have had around here. The veneer is clear (better than aruaco), and 7 layers. Down side is the center layers seem a bit soft but maybe that is just a lower grade poplar. And I had one sheet that was delaminated in the middle, but HD replaced it, no hassle.

I just wish that my local Lowes and Home Depot carried the same stuff for at least six months in a row. I wouldn't mind buying a test piece if I knew it would be available again next week. Our Lowes had some really nice 3/4 Birch a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I just wish that my local Lowes and Home Depot carried the same stuff for at least six months in a row. I wouldn't mind buying a test piece if I knew it would be available again next week. Our Lowes had some really nice 3/4 Birch a couple of years ago.
    Exactly. Every visit is a crap shoot, never the same stuff twice. Its not a produce stand, its a lumber yard, consistency is everything.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Can't argue with that.

My complaint with HomeDepot is the plywood storage racks with the arms. Every sheet seems to have bows in the plywood associated with them. I end up buying from a place that stores it flat. In my area Menards stores sheet goods flat so I buy them there.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    My complaint with HomeDepot is the plywood storage racks with the arms. Every sheet seems to have bows in the plywood associated with them. I end up buying from a place that stores it flat.
    Amen to that. In many cases the product is almost identical at other places, but HD's handling and storage are atrocious! In addition, their partial sheets seem like they are cut from the worst warped full sheets - I almost never see a flat one in the entire rack!

Blog Entries
    I agree to the comment on the way they stack plywood. It is all warped, and also the banding they use (or maybe their supplier) ruins at least four sheets in the stack because they band it so tight it digs in. Their lumber is also just horrible. I picked up a 2x4 and it literally broke from its own weight because of a knot spanning the entire width of the board. I fill out their comment surveys every time but we still get the same worthless stuff. I live in St. Thomas, so we are a captive market. What we get we cannot send back like the states. I think they send us the leftovers. That said, I have a love-hate relationship with them, because without HD we would be stuck with ACE which charges double and has little to choose from. I do love my orange table saw and spindle sander.

I did once luck up and they had gotten in a shipment of mahogany veneered plywood. It looked like Honduran Mahogany. Someone made a mistake I guess. I bought a few sheets. At the time I did not have a place to store it or I would have bought more.

If you want a good laugh at Home Depot, check out my review of their photo of St. Thomas. Go to reviews and look at Islander's review.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Trademark...32GG/204368528

I've been buying the 2'x4' sheets of sanded and birch of both 1/2 and 3/4 lately. I been thinking they all come pre-bowed.
    Do you mean they make them flat?
    Bryan Vaughan
    Independence, Mo.
    Avatar picture are grandchildren Forrest and Birdie.

Paul,

I am glad that you had good luck with materials purchased at HD.

As for me, I just learned a valuable lesson, of which I should have known better to begin with.

Long story short, I just built a series of cabinets for my new work shop. Plywood carcasses with face frame, etc. Drawers (many) and doors to shelved cabinets.

I got 'cheap' and bought various birch and sanded 3/4" plywood from both HD and Lowes. It was 'slightly warped/bent/bowed from the way they ship/store it, and "cheap" 3 to5 plys. I thought I could work around it, and was VERY careful to work to exacting dimensions.

It was all good (sort of) until I put the drawer glides in. They have 1/32" of "give" and many of my drawer spaces were off by more than that, thanks to the "curves" in the plywood. I made it work, but it added hours of unnecessary time.

Never again. I have a great lumber yard that handles and delivers absolutely pristine and flat plywood--the "real" stuff, for a price which is maybe $5/sheet more than the big box crap on a $40 sheet. I learned my lesson that the savings of big box is more than gobbled up by the inherent lack of quality in their product, and hence, my workmanship.

Glad it worked for you. Doubtful I will ever try it again for anything other than "rough" work where it will be tossed when I am done.

Banana-ed plywood isn't particular to HD and Lowes. Sheet goods from “real” lumber yards and other distributors that do primarily B2B sales can be up and down with quality. I’ve bought skids of 18mm, 12mm and 6mm B/BB multi ply that all came from the same mill in Russia. The 18mm sheets were perfect, the 6mm ones were somewhat bowed but useable and the 12mm ones were all like Pringles.

You start to realize why particle board is such a popular product with large furniture and cabinetry manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Banana-ed plywood isn't particular to HD and Lowes. Sheet goods from “real” lumber yards and other distributors that do primarily B2B sales can be up and down with quality. I’ve bought skids of 18mm, 12mm and 6mm B/BB multi ply that all came from the same mill in Russia. The 18mm sheets were perfect, the 6mm ones were somewhat bowed but useable and the 12mm ones were all like Pringles.

You start to realize why particle board is such a popular product with large furniture and cabinetry manufacturers.
    +1 to all that!

Also I sure hope that the readers here understand lumber core WILL expand and contract seasonally, its not stable like plywood is. You need to account for this in your build.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....