Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pet Cremation Urns

Pet Cremation Urns

Here’s a couple pet urns just finished up this week. My dog of 16 year died last December and made up this urn for
    her cremated remains. She was mans best friend! The other urn with the name “Misha” i made up for one of my employees
    who lost his dog a while ago.

Remember, I have only been turning a year, so go easy on me. I do want honest comments and if you see something I can
    improve on, I want to hear about it. I know the woods a bit thick is places and I’m working on that, still new to this. I did a little
    woodburning on the name and tracks. Would like to know if you like the woodburnings or would leave that part out.

Mid section is Aspen, with Cottonwood lid and base. I had to go with what I had available and will next time use all Aspen I think.
    Might like a darker wood too for top and bottom as I like the contrast.

Thanks a bunch! Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

Steve...I think you did a great job on both urns. I like the paw prints.

Not classic shapes, but they present well with good display of grain. Excellent work with the burning on the paws. Very appropriate and I'm sure 'Misha's' owner appreciated the urn.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

They look very professional to me. No obvious sanding marks, smooth curves and nice finish. They appear stable, but I like the shape on Misha's a little better for an elevated form. As a matter of personal preference, the shape for your dog's urn is a bit more bottom heavy and to my eye, it fights the pedestal and might "feel" better without it. Nice job!

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    Not classic shapes, but they present well with good display of grain. Excellent work with the burning on the paws. Very appropriate and I'm sure 'Misha's' owner appreciated the urn.
    Thanks for all the comments! On mine, the one on the left, was poor planning on my part as I actually flipped it to show the beautiful knot. I actually had planned it
    to go the other way. After I had flipped it, my wife and I actually liked the shape and I left it showing that knot between the prints. Thanks Thom

6. Both those are nice turnings.......I really like the paw prints pyro'd in the design and the pedestal forms........I have a fondness for pedestal forms done well. Nice!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Very nice work and I'm sure that Misha's owner will appreciate it for years.
    I fish, therefore I am. I woodturn when I can't fish.

Both are good looking turnings. I prefer the one on the right. It doesn't need the pedestal but that doesn't distract from it in my view. I agree whith what everyone has said about the paw prints, they are a very good addition.

Steve, I like them both. Neither form hurts my eyes and that's how I judge first and last. The finish looks good and I like the wood burning. I like both Cottonwood and Aspen, but Cottonwood is a little harder to finish sometimes. I would be proud to have either on my mantle. Thanks for posting. It's nice to see something different. How far southeast are you in Colorado?
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Steve, I think they look beautiful. Nice choice of material. It turned out really nice.

The only thing that would concern me would be the base being so small, but that is because I live in California and an earthquake would probably tip it over.

In your part of the country it's not likely an issue like out here.

I for one love the work...
    Jim Watkins
    Aliso Viejo, CA.

EPILOG Mini 24 - 45w
    Corel X4; PhotoGrave 3.0
    Nova 1624-44 Lathe

Beautiful work with the available woods. Having lived in Colorado for 35 years, hard wood is hard to come by. Although Box elder is common along the creek beds.
    Again. Beautiful work.

Thank you all for the nice compliments and critiques! I know I have a ways to go for sure but really enjoy this craft. My thoughts, like taxidermy, it's always
    to be a ongoing craft to improve on. I'm sure the pro's are still looking for newer better ways and chasing after the difficult shape. I just can't see woodturning as getting boring anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Herzberg View Post
    Steve, I like them both. Neither form hurts my eyes and that's how I judge first and last. The finish looks good and I like the wood burning. I like both Cottonwood and Aspen, but Cottonwood is a little harder to finish sometimes. I would be proud to have either on my mantle. Thanks for posting. It's nice to see something different. How far southeast are you in Colorado?
    Doug, I'm about 100 miles south of you off I-25. Actually have 2 taxidermy shops in Aguilar, small town north of Trinidad. My Mother lives in Colo. Springs off of 21st street. Nice to see a neighbor on here!

Steve I like them both and the pyrography really makes them stand out. I am not a dog person but can still appreciate the loss when a family pet passes.
    I wonder how you have attached the lids? I have made a few urns and found that the lid was best when screwed on. Tha is to say I used plumbing fittings screw sections inserted into the urn.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Thanks Pete! The lid on both of these just drops in. Screw threads would be sweet, but I'm not that advanced just yet, but very interested into looking into threading.
    On my employees urn, we put a plastic bag in the urn and funneled the ashes into the bag, put a zip tie to seal the bag and stuffed it in. This was to prevent any spilling
    in the event the urn was knocked over. I have heard others using plumbing threads too, would this be like PVC type threads?
    Thanks you again,
    Steve