Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for the Imperialists

Question Question for the Imperialists

Over here in Metricland, screws are reference by their root diameter at the top x length. Pretty simple.

Any of the decent plans or even hardware sold in North America always refer to screw numbers and I've never really comes to terms with it...Until now hopefully.

I was taking a look at the Lee Valley Tap & Drill Sets and noticed that they are for sizes #2-56 up to #10-24. Do these numbers correspond to screw sizes?

I can visualise any of the bolt/tap sizes from #1/4-20 upwards because it's a definitive number based on a calculation but below that is all Greek. I always have to look up the size of say the #8-32 in decimal and then convert to Metric and then exclaim "Ah it's close to 4mm!".

I've probably even more confused now because I have no idea what a #5 or #14 screw looks like or even which tap/drill set to get to substitute the wood screw for a machine screw.

Do I just suck it up, print out a nice chart and worry about World Peace instead?

fanx.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-04-2015 at 1:17 PM.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post

Do I just suck it up, print out a nice chart and worry about World Peace instead?

fanx.
    Just like 1/4-20 is a 1/4" screw, 20 threads per inch, a 2-56 designation is a #2 screw, 56 threads be inch. It's a bit anachronistic, but you will generally only see 2-56, 4-40, 6-32, 8-32 and 10-32.

So yeah, just print out a chart if you need clearance hole sizes, and move on. 2-56 is a bit over 1/16", and 10-32 is close to 3/16". The other ones in between are suitably in between. I can't tell you why thread standards resort to this crazy numbering scheme below 1/4", but it does.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 02-04-2015 at 10:48 AM.

Blog Entries
    http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodwork...charts/?page=4

If you open the link above, you can download a chart graphically showing woodscrew sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    Over here in Metricland, screws are reference by their root diameter at the top x length. Pretty simple.

Any of the decent plans or even hardware sold in North America always refer to screw numbers and I've never really comes to terms with it...Until now hopefully.

I was taking a look at the Lee Valley Tap & Drill Sets and noticed that they are for sizes #2-56 up to #10-24. Do these numbers correspond to screw sizes?

I can visualise any of the bolt/tap sizes from #1/4-20 upwards because it's a definitive number based on a calculation but below that is all Greek. I always have to look up the size of say the #8-32 in decimal and then convert to Metric and then exclaim "Ah it's close as dammit to 4mm!".

I've probably even more confused now because I have no idea what a #5 or #14 screw looks like or even which tap/drill set to get to substitute the wood screw for a machine screw.

fanx.
    Yes - a good conversion chart is the best answer. The screw numbers, kinda like gauge sizes for sheet metal or wire have no inherently understandable relationship to diameter.

I suggest one of these if you are a visual type of person. I have several extras, PM me if you want one.

That's a darn useful looking gauge. Where'd you find it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    I suggest one of these if you are a visual type of person. I have several extras, PM me if you want one.

-- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rode View Post
    Fastenal left me half a dozen or so over the years, they sell them. Most decent bolt stores carry them. Here is a link to the fastenal one that I prefer for less than $10:

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...endingMachine=

The US is a crazy mix of metric and imperial. Screws are mostly imperial. Nuts and bolts sold loose are 90% imperial. Metric sizes are readily available, but imperial is the norm. However, nuts and bolts on products might be either or sometimes both. In the US one needs a full set of both tools.

I like imperial measurements because I grew up with it and it's familiar but we'd all be better off using metric like the remainder of the world. It's too late for me, but maybe my grand-kids can be saved
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Blog Entries
    When you said screws, I thought of woodscrews. The chart I mentioned in an earlier post was for wood screws.

Straight threaded fasteners are commonly called nuts and bolts. a 10-32 nut and bolt would be a #10 bolt with 32 threads per inch.

They have a device we can buy now that we can screw a nut on or a bolt into that will identify the size and thread. I need one for metric bolts and will probably will buy one.

I spoke somewhat in error. I don't think I've ever seen a 10-32 bolt. A #10 bolt is commonly 24 threads per inch, thus 10-24. 6-32's are common.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 02-04-2015 at 3:43 PM. Reason: correct a small error

Blog Entries
    The US is a crazy mix of metric and imperial. [snip] In the US one needs a full set of both tools.
    Actually many of the sizes between metric and inch are interchangeable (the formatting got lost in the chart below via cut and paste so --- was inserted to separate the numbers):

Metric to Sae wrench sizes. 6.5mm is common in many wrench sets. A "t" next to the wrench size indicates this wrench will be tight on its equivilent size nut, i.e. a 14mm wrench is snug on a 9/16 nut.

Millimeters Inch
    6 --- N/A
    6.5 --- 1/4t
    7 --- N/A
    8 --- 5/16
    9 --- 11/32t
    10 --- N/A
    11t --- 7/16
    12 --- N/A
    13 --- 1/2t
    14t --- 9/16
    15 --- 19/32 (not common)
    16 --- 5/8
    17 --- N/A
    18 --- N/A
    19 --- 3/4 (This is such a perfect match, it is used internationally for automobile wheel nuts)
    20 --- N/A
    21 --- N/A
    22t --- 7/8

32 --- 1-1/4 If memory serves me well, this is the size of the hub nut on the rear axle of Volks Wagons before '68 or so.

That has 7 metric sizes throughout the range not covered by an SAE wrench set.
    3/16 would be tight on a 5mm, neither size is included with most sets.
    Three common SAE sizes, 3/8, 11/16 and 15/16 are not covered by the metric sizes.

As for drill sizes, pick up an old metal drill index (box). They usually have the screw sizes and tap drill sizes on the front row of bit holders. For wood screws the inside of the lid serves as my note pad.

Maybe a picture is in order if my camera makes it out to the shop today.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 02-04-2015 at 2:59 PM. Reason: Formatting fix
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The US is a crazy mix of metric and imperial.
    Shoot - worse than that, Daniel - there was a period when all the domestic machinery guys were racing overseas, and production there started up before they had completed a 100% redesign. If you have a machine from that time period - especially Delta, and some PM - there is a mix of imperial and metric on the same doggone machine. Trust me - I gots those things staring at me right now.

For adjustment spots, I tossed a bunch of rare earth disc magnets against the cabinet/frames, and got enough duplicates so there is a combo wrench or allen key stuck to the machine at each spot. A mix of the two types, but I don't have to bring all of everything and jump back and forth as I try to find the right tool.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Daniel - my neighborhood Ace and my near-by BORG have them in the fasteners aisle.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Another option is this guy: http://www.amazon.com/Bolt-Thread-Ch...ds=screw+gauge . Unlike many of of the others, this let's you test screws and nuts. It has the common sizes in imperial and metric.

If you need a wider range, they have separate units that contain imperial only or metric only in a wider range.

Dan.
    It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodwork...charts/?page=4

If you open the link above, you can download a chart graphically showing woodscrew sizes.
    This is great thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    I have sent you a PM, much appreciated.

Straight threaded fasteners are commonly called nuts and bolts. a 10-32 nut and bolt would be a #10 bolt with 32 threads per inch.
    I think what Lee Valley is suggesting is that one should use machines screws (essentially a bolt with a screw head) instead of wood screws for more holding power, especially with small hinges.

So let's say the screws required for a hinge are a #6. Normally you would drill a hole with one of those tapered drill/countersink bits of the correct size. Lee Valley says substitute the wood screw for a machine screw. So do I assume that I need to use the #6-32 tap/drill set to cut the hole and then get nice brass 6-32 machine screws?

So a #8 wood screw would be substituted for a 8-32 machine screw with the hole cut with the appropriate tap/drill set? Etc, etc, etc.

Is it as simple as this?

They have a device we can buy now that we can screw a nut on or a bolt into that will identify the size and thread. I need one for metric bolts and will probably will buy one.
    I have one of those in Imperial . Particularly useful for working out what bolts or nuts are required for a lot of the old Stanley/Record tools.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Hilton, next time you order from Lee Valley get one of these:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware...06,41330,40057

All taps from 2-56 to 1/4 20 with tap drills and clearance drills

Great reference.