Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Woodworking Table Saw Myth

The Woodworking Table Saw Myth

In the forum and at shows I have read and heard woodworkers talk about this overabundance of old iron Powermatic and Delta cabinet saws that people are apparently giving away for $500 in perfect condition. Thing is that I have heard about those deals but never seen one. I typically see folks asking anywhere between $1200 and $2400 for the nice saws. Junk may come cheaper but the nice ones seem to hold their values. So where are these great old saws for $500?

Keep looking.... they're around somewhere. Craigs and Ebay sellers are too often looking for big bucks. Scan local classifieds and folk auctions.

For personal reasons, I just passed on a Unisaw for $550 Rich. I dont know how common that kind of deal is.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Rich,

Different parts of the country vary with respect to the price of tools. I have a brother-in-law who does a lot of shopping at pawn shops. He lives in Illinois. Everytime he has visited here, he mentioned how high local prices are.

I have yet to see what I would call a "good" price on good old iron locally on Craigslist.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-06-2015 at 11:22 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Saws like the OP describes come up for sale in my area at the rate of maybe 1 or 2 per year in a 60 mile radius and the ones they want $500 for have big holes rusted in the cabinet and the bearings have long since refused to move. I see recommendations all the time advising to buy used cabinet saws but in many cases that is useless advice.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 02-09-2015 at 3:06 PM.

Hmm, maybe I ought to move my unisaw onto a new home, 1200 sounds not to bad at all...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    In the forum and at shows I have read and heard woodworkers talk about this overabundance of old iron Powermatic and Delta cabinet saws that people are apparently giving away for $500 in perfect condition. Thing is that I have heard about those deals but never seen one. I typically see folks asking anywhere between $1200 and $2400 for the nice saws. Junk may come cheaper but the nice ones seem to hold their values. So where are these great old saws for $500?
    I posted a NOS Unisaw on Craigslist for two months for $500 and never got a serious call. So they are out there. Ended up giving it away.

When I was saw hunting I found a Unisaw on my local craigslist for $200. "And another piece that I think goes with it". The other piece was a power feeder! Needless to sat, I didn't get there quick enough.

John

You need to keep in mind that the Uni and PM 66 are the saws everyone knows about which drives up prices. If you expand to the 12-14 or PM 72 you can get a much heavier saw for 750-1250. Older cast iron are the real deal but you need to remember that when buying any used machine, you need to budget for repairs, replacements, or missing parts. We all talk about the one great deal but realistically you should expect to need $1000 minimum to get a good used saw. you might get lucky, but goal is to get something that would sell new for several times what you pay and be constructed better than what is made today. I've had enough machines to know the difference in build and although some of my purchases were dirt cheap, the ones that cost more are still appreciated because you don't find that quality for anywhere near the extra you pay for used. Dave

Most of the larger used cabinet saws came out of commercial shops and require 3-phase power. You would need to budget for a phase converter too.

They do come up a number of times a year, particularly in large cities, but don't stay in view for any time at all. I bought a Unisaw 3hp single phase for 450, and a similar green 66 for 550. Both came out of hobbyists home shops, and had little use. Both were probably up for a few hours on Craigslist, and I went quickly with cash, help, and truck. Trouble comes when you want to wait for the weekend, or spend time talking about it. Proper talking about it is, "I'm on the way with cash, can you hold it until I get there?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    ....So where are these great old saws for $500?
    Can't speak to iron like that but will tell you that I talk to guys all the time who "saw a used MM16 once for $1,000" (and they are often quite specific about a price as opposed to "around such-and-such amount"...) or, "My buddy got one for so much", and ask me how often I see those/ when do I think one might pop up?/ where to find that sort of thing/ do I know anyone who has one for sale?, etc.

I think that we all have our dreams about finding that magical deal of a lifetime and some of us take longer to come to grips with reality or just don't let go, ever. Not a judgment, just an observation.

Erik Loza
    Minimax

I sold a right tilt 3hp Unisaw from 1992 with a 52 inch Unifence for $850 dollars earlier this year. I paid $600 for it, and then came across an Saw Stop PCS 3hp with a 52" fence so I upgraded twice in one year. I still see the higher priced ones but keep looking, they truly do exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    Most of the larger used cabinet saws came out of commercial shops and require 3-phase power. You would need to budget for a phase converter too.
    The 12-14 or PM 72 will sometimes be single phase , old iron almost always is three phase. A vfd adds 300-500 to run them. You need to add that to your repair budget if going that route. i think that for woodworking machinery, used should be thought of as a chance to upgrade rather than a way to save. i agree with Erik. I watch used as closely as most, but the price of the right machine is irrelevant, and the cost of the wrong one is always too high. Dave

I bought a beautiful Unisaw last summer on craigslist for $500.
    It came with an Excaliber rip fence, mobile base, and a bunch of fancy aftermarket jigs and accessories that are worth well over $500 by themselves.
    The guy who owned it was a hobbyist woodworker who rarely used it. He died and the family sold off all of his stuff.

There are plenty of bargains out there. You gotta be quick.