Thread: Cribbage board

Cribbage board

I haven't had much time to turn because I've been way too busy with my day job. Finally had some shop time couple weeks ago and wanted a new cribbage board. Curly maple finished with antique oil. It's a continuous nonlinear 4 track. One inner track starts fast and finishes slow while the other starts slow and finishes fast, so you don't know who's ahead. Now that I've looked at it for a while, I wish I would have done more embellishment to the face. My main concern was having a raised area in the center so my sausage fingers could pick up the deck. Also need a brad point bit to avoid wandering. Still need to order some pegs but I'll use some from one of my other boards. Critiques always welcome.
    image.jpgimage.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Whippingwater
    What if the Hokey Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about.

I'm not knowledgable on cribbage but my daughter has wanted me to make a bowl with a rim like what you have done. My concern was drilling the holes evenly but may have to pick your brain further. Thanks for posting this.
    Why not turn some pegs?
    Last edited by Hayes Rutherford; 02-06-2015 at 11:54 PM.

I agree with Hayes - turn your own! Get some nice colored woods - pen blanks? and make some. For projects like this get a machinists centering bit. Heavy center for stability and short cutting area so not flexible, but should drill deep enough for what you want, or to create a guide hole for a regular bit. Harbor Freight sells them as do machine supply stores.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Great idea Thom! I'll have to check the diameter of the centering bits I have. Hayes, I bought a template for the holes because I liked the nonlinear idea. Thought about turning pegs, but I'm so out of practice I'm not sure I can turn down to 1/8".
    Whippingwater

Love all that curl! First time I've seen a round cribbage board! Looks great!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Very nice Philip. I've never seen a round one ether. I like it!

Great looking job Philip, I have been asked a couple of times to make ordinary rectangular variety, but I have put it on my
    to do list. How in heavens name did you get the peg holes an equal distance apart? I have seen round plastic cribbage
    boards but this is the first wooden one for me. Once I find out the secret about placing the holes a consistent distance apart,
    I shall try and turn a round one.

Bruce

Here's one, just googled round cribbage template - http://www.cribbageguy.com/templates/

Dave Fritz

Cribbage guy is the template that I used, the four track nonlinear. 492 dang holes to drill. If I were to make a few of them I think I would make a circle jig to use on the drill press with a centering bit.
    Whippingwater