Thread: DustFX or Oneida 2 or 3 HP Cylcone -Which One?

DustFX or Oneida 2 or 3 HP Cylcone -Which One?

I'm not posting this to ignite (pun not intended) a repeat of the many extensive and thoughtful discussions on this forum about dust collection. I simply have decided that I cannot live with the shop vac solution, which does not work for me in my garage shop, and that a cyclone collector would be a better choice. I'm familiar enough with the hazards of wood dust, and want to spend less time cleaning up as well as protecting my health. I'm Canadian, but have always liked U.S. made equipment. I also want my fellow human beings to get paid decently for their work, and am happy to pay more to support employment in North America - be it by buying Lie-Nielsen planes or Veritas planes, or through a more major purchase. With this said, here's what I seek guidance on.

I only operate on machine at a time (jointer, planer, table saw), but MAY in the future have a need to install a central DC system, so I want to keep that in mind in my purchase. I can currently purchase locally a 2 HP off-shore DustFX 2 HP cyclone collector for $1,750.00, and the 3 HP version for $2,150.00. The 2 HP Oneida Super Gorilla, including floor stand and cardboard barrel is $2,800 plus tax shipped to me, and the 3 HP version about $3,040 plus tax, shipped, from Atlas Machinery in Toronto. The Oneida has a Baldor motor, which I much prefer over Taiwanese motors and electrics. Ditto all the electrical controls, and of-shore electrical controls are not optimal in my view. I have no idea if the DustFX specifications posted are accurate or not, so I cannot evaluate the unit on that basis. I looked at them, and they appear to be well-made, although the controls and some connections do not look that durable. The DustFX units are equipped with 4" inlets, so connection is straight forward.

So, the $64+++ dollar question I have for you is do you think that the quality/design/reliability/reputation of the Oneida units is worth the $1,000-ish dollar premium over the DustFX units? I have no doubt the Oneida will last longer, judging from how it is built. I am prepared to spend the extra money if it is warranted....

Thanks a lot for your opinions.

Joe.

I bought a new 2hp cyclone 10 years ago when I set up my shop. Sure wish I had gone with a 3hp system. Can't say it works bad, but for my sanders it could sure use a little more suction. I looked at the DustFX online, not much info. Also looked at the JDS, looks pretty similar except there is more info. I would want to know what diameter the impeller is before buying. A 15" would move enough air you would not be wishing for more. There is a thread on the Oneida cyclone on the workshops section.

I'm admittedly an Oneida fan-boi...and yes, I believe their quality is worth the prices, especially since it's folks in Syracuse NY who are building them one by one. I've visited their facility and seen first hand their process from plans through final product. The unit in my shop is my second one...and the first is still kicking dust in a friend's shop nearby.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I'm with both Jims. I bought a 2 hp SDG and it works great, but for the little bit extra I am kicking myself for not going with the 3 hp version, just to get the extra suction. If you go with 6" duct, definitely get the 3 hp, if you use 7" steel, the 2 hp should do a nice job for you.
    NOW you tell me...

Joe, where in BC are you?

Isn't Burnaby closer than Toronto?

http://www.ultimatetools.ca/pages/about

regards, Rod.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 02-09-2015 at 8:57 AM.

Ulitmate Tools & Oneida

Hi there,

In fact, I went into the Ultimate Tools store a few weeks ago, and they told me that they don't currently sell them. Strange, since their website indicates that they do...

There don't appear to be any tool stores here in B.C. that actually sell the Oneida dust collectors, only the small cyclone attachments for shop vacs and existing single stage collectors, like Busy Bee Tools does.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Joe, where in BC are you?

Isn't Burnaby closer than Toronto?

http://www.ultimatetools.ca/pages/about

regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    I just got a V-5000 directly from Oneida. They were a little cheaper than Welbeck & way cheaper than Busy Bee. So there are at least a couple of good options for getting Oneida in Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    I bought a new 2hp cyclone 10 years ago when I set up my shop. Sure wish I had gone with a 3hp system. Can't say it works bad, but for my sanders it could sure use a little more suction. I looked at the DustFX online, not much info. Also looked at the JDS, looks pretty similar except there is more info. I would want to know what diameter the impeller is before buying. A 15" would move enough air you would not be wishing for more. There is a thread on the Oneida cyclone on the workshops section.
    To OP: Looks like Gord Graff did a review of the DustFX in December. He says it has a 14.5" impeller.
    If I look at his filter collection bag in the picture in the review, its pure speculation on my part, but I am concerned the separation isn't as good as a full size Onieda/Clearvue cyclone. The whole reason you are buying the cyclone is to minimize blowing fine dust through the filter surface area. This is what prevents clogging of the filter (to sustain your airflow rate) and minimize the eventual damage to that filter. I realize I'm not presenting any hard cold facts but hope you can find an Oneida (go 3HP) that better suits your needs.

FWIW - My limited experience with Oneida has been excellent. I sent them line drawings when I wanted to replumb my [non-Oneida] DC; they asked the right questions, and gave me a design/parts list back.

YOu don't mention your plans on the piping - be aware that number can be pretty impressive in its own right.

If you go with Oneida, they will do the entire design for you as part of the deal. THat level of support has value, IMO.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I bought an Oneida 3HP Super Dust Gorilla. They designed my duct system for me and I couldn't be happier.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....