Thread: Art of the beetle and questions

Art of the beetle and questions

This is my first bowl from ambrosia maple. Very interesting patterns. Note the dark areas in between the patterns on the end grain side. I did not notice these before finishing. I wet sanded with walnut oil. The more oil I put on the darker the grey. Is this likely dark sawdust being drug into the end grain? If that is it, can I wait for the oil to set up and then re-sand or take light cuts to get rid of the dark areas? Then do I seal with shellac before sanding? Can I still use the walnut oil finish after the shellac?

Ambrosia mapel 1.jpg ambrosia mapel 2.jpg

I can't help you with your questions because I don't know the answers. I just want to say that ambrosia maple bowl is beautiful. You did a great job.

Red
    RED

Paul, I am not sure what causes it, but I have several pieces of Ambrosia Maple that have gray areas - some that are much darker and broader coverage than what you have. I actually like the look with BLO applied over it - creates a very rich look IMO.

I would not apply walnut oil over shellac. The shellac will seal the wood and prevent the walnut oil from penetrating, which is what an oil finish is intended to do. If it is a functional bowl, I would leave it with just the walnut oil finish. If you intend it to be an accent piece for display, then shellac OVER the oil once it has cured would make a good seal coat for a film finish such as WOP.

I think it's just the fungus showing up under a thin layer of wood. The piece looks very nice the way it is.
    Matt Newton
    IAFF Local 2664

non illigitimi carborundum

Thanks for the comments. It is meant to be a functional bowl which is why I used the walnut oil in the first place. I put on another coat of oil after taking the photo and it just got darker. Perhaps it would be best to let the oil set up and then buff before I try anything else. I have another piece of the maple. I will turn something similar and try another finish to see if I get the grey with something else.

the grey areas are quite normal to this wood. you cannot sand them out. Whether you choose to eat out of it is up to you. If it were me, I probably would, as I just turned it and sanded it, and got the dust in my hair & up my nose, and on my clothes, and all over my shop. Why not eat it?
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I turn alot of Ambrosia Maple and use most of the bowls I turn. I finish them with general Fishes " Salade finish"

I also like it the way it is. General Finishes are great finishes.