Thread: Should I wax over top my polyurethane finish?

Should I wax over top my polyurethane finish?

I finished my decorative box using stain along with multiple coats of polyurethane on top. I was reading some advice from old threads of putting varnish on top for a more durable finish, but I don't feel I need it because this is only a decorative box, so it won't recieve much wear. I also have felt circles underneath to prevent scratching. Something I was thinking about was paste wax. Paste wax is a cheap and easy extra finish for added protection, but I would have to completely strip it of I was to ever apply polyurethane again.

Michael, polyurethane is varnish. There's no need to apply more if you are satisfied with how it looks now. There's also no need to apply wax if your only reason for wanting to do so is added protection because it will offer none. But it will change the feel of the piece, and many people find that appealing. Paste wax applied with 0000 steel wool and then buffed leaves a soft sheen with a very silky feel. If you decide to do that, wait at least a week for the poly to cure, preferably two or three, before doing it.

John