Thread: Neanderphyte Seeks Plane Advice

Neanderphyte Seeks Plane Advice

Hi All...I've got several hand planes that have been bouncing around packed away in moving boxes for the past 20 years or so. I recently dug them out in the process of setting up shop in my new house, and I'd like some advice from the SMC gang regarding what to do with them. To give people an idea about what I'm talking about, I've posted pictures and captions here.

With one exception, these planes were inherited from my grandad. (The newest one of the lot was left behind by the ex-wife. That's a whole other thread for another time. ) These planes are nowhere near sharp or tuned, especially the older ones, and aside from chewing up the edges of a few pieces of scrap lumber to try them out, I've never used them, since they're unusable in their current condition.

I've always leaned in the "more power" direction, but I can tell from reading here on SMC that a well tuned plane can be a pleasure to use. I'm no stranger to sharp edges -- I'm pretty fanatical about my kitchen knives -- but I don't know anything about tuning, sharpening, or setting up a plane. I've recently purchased the makings of a scary sharp system (including the Veritas MK II), and had impressive results in just a few minutes with my beater Sears chisels, but having never seen or used a well-tuned plane, I don't fully know what the goal is, let alone how to get there.

Which leads me to several questions:

Are any of these planes worth cleaning up and making usable? Are any of these worth the expense of paying someone else to fix up for me? (I'm guessing there are one or more people here at SMC who do this type of thing for fun and profit.) Would I be better off buying a good used one from someone who knows how to properly set up a plane? Perhaps trade a couple or three of mine for one decent used one? I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks in advance -

- Vaughn

Vaughn, I don't know that you've got anything terribly valuable there, but:

The American Boy block plane is probably worth cleaning up, sharpening and using, after all it was your grandfather's and it's probably a good user.

The Stanley 192 is a rabbet plane. The depth stop is with it (that's good). I would definitely be cleaning and sharpening that one and using it.

The 220 block plane with the broken lever cap, I'm not sure about. The 220 is a decent enough block plane and sure worth having. If you could find a lever cap to go with it?

The Proto plane? You realize the tote and front knob don't match and the tote looks like a replacement. If the bottom of that plane is as warped as the picture makes it look then I'd trash it. I don't know who made Proto planes or if they're even worth messing with. You may want to be looking for a decent used bench plane to replace that.
    Feel the wind and set yourself a bolder course

Hi Vaughn:

I certainly agree with Larry about the 192; that's a very nice plane. Depending on your needs, it'll be used relatively infrequently, but there's just no substitute for a rabbet plane.

In spite of the broken lever cap, I'd sooner devote time and energy to the 220 than the American Boy block plane. The latter is really a crude tool, and other than being a compete specimen, doesn't have a lot to recommend for it.

The Stanley 220 on the other hand, at least has a mechanical blade adjustment system, which is much easier for the beginner to use. I'm not even sure how much the damaged lever cap is going to impact performance, other than making it a bit uncomfortable to use over long periods. In any case, getting a replacement part wouldn't be all that difficult.

The Proto might make a functional, rough user. I'm with Larry to not bother if the sole is warped, but your picture of it sitting on corrogated cardboard is in no way a reliable reference. Then again, it sounds like that particular sample comes with some seriously bad karma.
    Marc

A Few Answers, A Few More Questions

Thanks for the input guys. So...the broken part on the 220 is a lever cap. Now I know what to go hunting for if I want to replace it. (I guess I need to get better acquainted with the names of the various plane parts, huh?) I had kind of suspected that the 220 had better potential for usability than the American Boy, since it has a bit more sophisticated mechanism.

I'm not sure when or where I'd use the 192, but it does seem like it could clean up and become a nice tool, even if it's mostly for display. I still may look for someone who might be willing to trade it for something I'd be more likely to use. (Or tuning up one of my others.) Even though there's some family history attached to it, part of me would rather it go to someone who'll get lots of use from it than for me to keep it as a conversation piece. I have many other tools and mementos from Grandad's shop.

The Proto was given to the ex (or perhaps me, I don't remember for certain) by her old high school shop teacher, who became a friend of both of ours while we were married. I suspect the non-matching knob was a repair job done by the shop teacher, so it's likely not a problem. I'll have to check when I get home, but I'm pretty certain the sole is flat. The blade adjustment mechanism works pretty smoothly (better than any of the others), so I'll probably try making the plane usable. As far as karma and that plane go...I'm not too worried. I'm still good friends with the ex, nearly 20 years later. She's still one of the nicest lesbians I've ever met. (Told you is was a whole other story. )

Can any of you recommend a good resource (preferably online) for learning about the care and feeding of planes?

Thanks again, guys -

- Vaughn

This is one of the best compendiums of hand tool links I've ever come across:
    http://www.jlatech.com/rob/Woodworki...dge%20Base.htm

Within the above list is a link to Jeff Gorman's site. Check out his Planing Notes". Some really good stuff there.http://www.amgron.clara.net/index.htm

Another good site:
    http://www.ilovewood.com/Alburnam.htm
    Marc

Thanks for the links Marc. In checking the planes this evening with a straightedge, I see that none of them have an absolutely flat bottom. I'll do some reading on the sites you've recommended, and see what sort of tolerances I should be looking for.

- Vaughn

Proto is, at least now, the high-end line of Stanley for mechanics hand tools. Think of Snap-On or Matco - well, Proto is in that league (or better), at least for rachets, torque wrenches, etc. It's possible they made a plane, but I would have thought it'd be like a top-quality Stanley.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell
    Proto is, at least now, the high-end line of Stanley for mechanics hand tools. Think of Snap-On or Matco - well, Proto is in that league (or better), at least for rachets, torque wrenches, etc. It's possible they made a plane, but I would have thought it'd be like a top-quality Stanley.
    Thanks Rob. It may be notable that the Proto logo is stamped (not cast) onto the side of the plane -- alongside "Made in USA". Don't know if that helps. To my untrained eye it looks like it could be a pretty decent tool once it's set up and tuned.

- Vaughn