Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ridgid & Home Depot

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    I thought so too but I got an email about 10 days later saying I had to send in the actual receipt and the UPC from the box.

They also said they recommend sending it certified mail, which I did. Now I wait.
    I got the same email today. Why do they want you to send it in certified (at your expense) when LSA is supposed to be free? I guess they are saying is they have either lousy mail service (I doubt it, as return address is on all items sent in,) or their employees are just plain SORRY! Seems they do everything possible to make LSA registration not work. Only one step removed from being CROOKS! Remember that you have ninety day satisfaction deal. Unhappy-return it. Guess when my ninety days ran out, day before email requesting additional info be sent in, so I can't return it to avoid hassle. In future, rest assured on 85 day, tool is going back. Next day buy another, which will also be returned. I'll basically be renting tools, with a new tool every three months. Two can play this game.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 02-12-2015 at 9:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    I got the same email today. Why do they want you to send it in certified (at your expense) when LSA is supposed to be free? I guess they are saying is they have either lousy mail service (I doubt it, as return address is on all items sent in,) or their employees are just plain SORRY! Seems they do everything possible to make LSA registration not work. Only one step removed from being CROOKS! Remember that you have ninety day satisfaction deal. Unhappy-return it. Guess when my ninety days ran out, day before email requesting additional info be sent in, so I can't return it to avoid hassle. In future, rest assured on 85 day, tool is going back. Next day buy another, which will also be returned. I'll basically be renting tools, with a new tool every three months. Two can play this game.
    Hi Bruce

Just a friendly and respectful heads up.

Trust me, after "x" amount of purchases of the same tool, a manager will be called and they'll put an end to it. Not saying that you're wrong in the least, just letting you know how it is most likely to play out. I worked in a home center.

Personally, I'd just end ties with buying Ridgid battery tools and move on to a brand that won't give you the issues that Ridgid has. Trust me, it's not worth it, but it's obviously your call.

Respectfully,

David
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by David Cramer View Post
    ...I worked in a home center...
    Have you seen the recent Denzel Washington film "The Equalizer"? They were very creative in finding ways to kill bad guys with stuff taken off the shelf at "Home Club" (as I think it was called). My wife and I were howling.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pleas View Post
    Have you seen the recent Denzel Washington film "The Equalizer"? They were very creative in finding ways to kill bad guys with stuff taken off the shelf at "Home Club" (as I think it was called). My wife and I were howling.

Hi Keith

I have not seen it, but ironically my daughter's soccer coach just brought it up to us last week as a movie to see. And for the record, I wish I lived where you live, that looks like quite a cool place to call home The Michigan cold is...getting old

David
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Giles View Post
    Timely thread as just yesterday I went to HD and picked up a Ridgid spindle sander. I bought it for the price and the positive reviews that I have read, not for the lifetime warranty. I wasn't aware there was a lifetime warranty until I opened the box and saw the instruction for registering.

Registering took me all of 5 minutes. I really don't see the big deal.
    I'll be very interested to hear if you get the email requesting the actual receipt and bar code as well.

I received my conformation of delivery and now I'm waiting...

You can check your status online.

I recently purchased the oscillating spindle sander from Home Depot via their web interface, since they did not have the unit in the store. I received the unit packaged directly from Rigid and all of the required paperwork was available on-line. Having retired from an Information Systems career, I have to say that I found their registration process very cumbersome and difficult to follow. In the course of registering the product, I found that there is a more streamlined process for registering products purchased via the internet for pickup at the local store. I kept all of the e-mails along with the original order information that they provided via the internet and it now resides in my computer in a separate warranty directory. The process went smoothly once I finally figured out how to get to the correct web pages and forms. I received a prompt confirmation of the receipt of the LSA within two weeks, which seems extremely slow in this day and age, but everything was fully registered. My only issue is that I have to take the unit to a service center 30 miles away, should it need LSA service.

I have been pleased with my Rigid tools, but I have to say it is a pain in the neck having to deal with Home Depot. As an example they don't carry any of the sanding media for their products in store, so that I have to order it on-line and their stores or the internet are the only possible options in my case and I find that a real nuisance. On the other hand I saved almost 50% over the on-line price from Home Depot versus other on-line retailers. In fact it was cheaper to buy this unit, which receives excellent reviews, new from Home Depot over buying it on the used market without a warranty.

After replacing batteries twice I was told the batteries were no longer eligible for the program. Ridgid batteries seem to be pretty expensive compared to other quality brands. When my remaining batteries began to fail I bought a different brand where I could get batteries for about half the cost on sale. A company is only as good as its word.

After I bought a Ridgid drill with batteries and charger, I sent in all the required info to register for the lifetime warranty. After a while I checked my accoount on line, the drill was not listed. I sent several emails and made some phone calls. They "never received" the info I sent in. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the receipt so I could send in a duplicate. After more emails and calls they would only give me the 3 year warranty. The only other Ridgid tool I own is the Jobmax multi-tool. I did use the lifetime warranty to get a battery replaced, but it took a month to get it. I have purchased my last Ridgid tool.

Guys - sorry, but this is going to be a bit contrary. It is what it is.

My personal view on the world is:

1] If there is a powered tool/gizmo/whatever that I expect a Lifetime Warranty to be needed, I buy a different one.
    2] I never buy powered tools from a BORG - except one time - I bought the Rigid belt/spindle combo sander from THD. I had a commission for outdoor garden entrance / fence/arbor that needed it. I only required the thing to last most of the way through that project to make it pay off. It did that, and more - has worked just fine, to be honest.

If the warranty will be necessary, then spend more and get a better tool is my approach.

Absolutely no disrespect to those who's approach is different. Just sayin.............
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

WARNING!!! "You get back a postcard saying who signed for it". Maybe... I've done that a couple of times, and the signature on the postcard was a mere scribble - not someones name, not anything that could be read and understood. I've heard - no personal experience - that at times post office personnel will simply scribble something on the return portion and send that back, never bothering to actually deliver the item.

I heard this from a lawyer who was litigating a case in which documents were never delivered, and his client was thereby screwed out of a valuable deal. He said that he mailed an item to another, co-operating, lawyer, and while he got the postcard, the recipient never got the "document" that had been mailed.
    >>> Je Suis Charlie <<<

My postcard didn't even have a signature. Just a blue stamp that says RECEIVED at the top and a persons name at the bottom with the date in red in the middle.

What I'm getting a kick out of is how they say to allow 10-12 weeks for processing. Which is of course the edge of the 90 day window for registering. I get that the registered letter establishes the buyer's time stamp, but you have to wonder if there is a calculation that a percentage of buyers will just throw their hands up and say screw it, when they are asked for more information after 11 weeks. Thus reducing Ridgid's obligations.

It's getting harder and harder to not be cynical these days...

I use certificate of mailing, which proves I mailed it to them first class. I don't care if they say they didn't receive it, as courts here ruled many years ago that an item sent first class with a return address is considered to have been received by addressee. They remind me of Chase Bank. When I had a mortgage, only six months from pay off, Chase bought it. I didn't have or need an escrow account, as payoff would occur before taxes came due. Paid insurance premiums myself, sent Chase a copy of receipt showing payment. They lost/ misplaced it, and threw me into their insurance at a premium that was greater than mortgage payment. Took three months to straighten out their mess. Loan was to be paid off in December, so first of November, I sent them a letter requesting pay off in December. Three days before payoff date, I called and asked for payoff amount. Told me they couldn't tell me over phone, but for a fee of $35 would fax it to me. Told them, no way in ####, give me the payoff. Finally agreed to fax at no cost payoff amount. Sent in check with confirmation of receipt. They signed for it at 10:31 AM, so I knew it was there in time. In January, I get notice of late payment from Chase. Called them up and asked what gives as they signed for payment. Was told I sent it to wrong address. Reminded them that the fax they sent me said to send to that address. Took a couple weeks for Chase to figure out they goofed, not my fault. Then after sixty days, they hadn't sent lein relase called and asked where it was. Got a lame excuse that local register of deed was so far behind, that register of deed hadn't processed it. Called register of deed, and was told that they received form in mid December, and sent out lien release recording same day. Clerk asked if I wanted a certified copy (at no cost), so I requested two. Get them next and and forward one to Chase telling them as how they couldn't get me lien release, I would send them one. I initialed it in lower right corner. Two weeks later, I get lien release from Chase, with my initials in lower right corner. They made a copy of what I sent them and sent it back to me. Couple weeks later get a customer survey from Chase, which I told them that they were truly the mortgage company from ####.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    .... Couple weeks later get a customer survey from Chase, which I told them that they were truly the mortgage company from ####.
    You are giving #### a bad name by saying Chase originated there. Sadly, they probably don't care, just like Bank of America who bought my Mortgage Company.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    You are giving #### a bad name by saying Chase originated there. Sadly, they probably don't care, just like Bank of America who bought my Mortgage Company.
    I built and own two houses. First with standard mortgage, and second with a "First Bank of the Left Hip Mortgage." Even though it took five years to build, I like the second type better. We have been in first house for 35 years. Now our property taxes and insurance are more than our mortgage payments were which included both. We have paid more in property taxes than we paid for house, with no end in sight. I digress.

Property taxes are pure evil.