Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Mortiser

Which Mortiser

Ok... Let me say right up front that I am 100% committed to purchasing a Benchtop Mortiser. I have pretty well decided (90%) on one of these two models. I am a hobbyist woodworker. I've never been fond of using a router. The Powermatic tips the scales right at the top of my budget. On the other hand, the Shop Fox is much less expensive, but that significantly lower price is also a bit of a worry about quality and longevity.

So, with that said, here are the 2 choices:

Shop Fox W1671 3/4 HP Heavy-duty Mortising Machine

Powermatic 1791310 PM701 3/4 Horsepower Bench Mortiser

What are your thoughts?
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Hi Stew. I started in the same place, and after doing much research, concluded that vertical mortisers are too finicky and too much of a compromise for fast, clean, accurate and repeatable work. (I'm sure others will disagree). So I switched my sights to getting a horizontal mortise machine. Much nicer, but way bigger and way more $$$. As I continued to do web searches, I came across the Festool Domino XL700. It is essentially a hand held horizontal mortising machine. I bought one and it has changed the way I do case construction. Fast, perfect, easy. The system uses pre made tenons (same concept as biscuit joinery, but much stronger and a greater range of options). Highly recommend it. Check out the YouTube review by Half Inch Shy (refers to it as the Domzilla). Note that it is designed to be used with a Festool dust extractor, so the combo is not inexpensive by any means. But you can accomplish in 20 minutes what might take 6 hours using mortise and tenon joinery, even with machines.

Have fun,

Len

From the two options presented, the Powermatic.

Or just make a mortising jig for your router. I recently needed to cut 16 mortises 3/8" wide by 2 1/8" long. It took about an hour to build the jig and then about 1 hour to cut all 16 mortises. Cost - close to nothing because I have a scrap pile and a few bits of hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Rosenberg View Post
    Hi Stew. I started in the same place, and after doing much research, concluded that vertical mortisers are too finicky and too much of a compromise for fast, clean, accurate and repeatable work. (I'm sure others will disagree). So I switched my sights to getting a horizontal mortise machine. Much nicer, but way bigger and way more $$$. As I continued to do web searches, I came across the Festool Domino XL700. It is essentially a hand held horizontal mortising machine. I bought one and it has changed the way I do case construction. Fast, perfect, easy. The system uses pre made tenons (same concept as biscuit joinery, but much stronger and a greater range of options). Highly recommend it. Check out the YouTube review by Half Inch Shy (refers to it as the Domzilla). Note that it is designed to be used with a Festool dust extractor, so the combo is not inexpensive by any means. But you can accomplish in 20 minutes what might take 6 hours using mortise and tenon joinery, even with machines.

Have fun,

Len

Len,
    Sorry, but I should have put I reference to the domino in my initial message. I looked into the domino. For all of 5 seconds until I saw the price. Ok, yes I know I'm going to stir up a big pile of crap now... Typical of Festool, it's 3X more expensive than the alternative. In this case there is no direct alternative because they hold the patents. But it is approximately 3X the price of the Powermatic. And, as I did state in my opening post, the Powermatic wipes out my budget.

Stew Hagerty

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Barrett View Post
    Or just make a mortising jig for your router. I recently needed to cut 16 mortises 3/8" wide by 2 1/8" long. It took about an hour to build the jig and then about 1 hour to cut all 16 mortises. Cost - close to nothing because I have a scrap pile and a few bits of hardware.
    Hi Phil, as I said in my opening post, I am not a fan of using a router to cut mortiser.
    If you must know, I have a neurological disorder that causes me to spasm without notice. When that happens, the router goes off course... Ruined piece.

Stew Hagerty

http://woodcentral.com/articles/revi...cles_729.shtml
    horizontal slot mortiser should be your first choice of course...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RQcClMWeh4
    Last edited by Rick Lizek; 02-10-2015 at 6:27 AM.

Folks Stew set up the parameters between two choices, not two choices and whatever you own, want or advise. Is is that difficult to stay in those two parameters?

Powermatic. I had a Shop Fox. Very cheaply made tool. Motor had some loose metal in it. Bits didn't line up with chisels. Burnt the chisels quickly.

Dan

I have the Powermatic. Not sure about the other one, but I have zero complaints with mine. SHARPEN THE CHISELS, or you will think both are a piece of junk.

Stew,

Pm701- quality unit and has nice features - also buy the Japanese chisels (Star-M brand) - both Grizzly and Lee Valley carry them - very well made and require little to no touch up out of the box

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Folks Stew set up the parameters between two choices, not two choices and whatever you own, want or advise. Is is that difficult to stay in those two parameters?
    No kidding, Doc. Something straight out of your former profession - join a conversation and immediately refocus it to put yourself at the center. There must be a term for that out there somewhere - in my family, we call it "Our Little Sister".

Stew - From the comments in your OP, I get the sense you would feel more comfortable with the PM. If that is the case, and it falls within your budget - even barely - then that is the correct choice. Tight budgets are usually a temporary problem - more $$ accrue over time - so cry once. The other thing that occurs to me is that with the SF, you might be constantly revisiting the decision, wondering what might have been. Life is too short, and there are too many mortises out there, to be caught up in that noise.

Tee it up.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Stew....regardless of which one you decide on......I can't express how important sharp bits and chisels are!

I use two sharpening tools. One from Woodcraft http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/144...ening-KIt.aspx . This cuts a new edge on the inside of the chisel.

Then I hone the inside edge of the chisel with this tool from Rockler http://www.rockler.com/3-piece-morti...sharpening-set .

Then I flatten/sharpen/knock off the burr on all 4 sides of the mortiser chisel like you would the back of a bench chisel. For that I use a diamond card.

Then I sharpen the cutting edge of the bit using a jeweler's file and a diamond card hone.

With sharpened bit and chisel, I dearly enjoy using my mortiser. Sharp tools are the key!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Or you could just buy the Wood Rat on the For Sale section for cheap...
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Stew....regardless of which one you decide on......I can't express how important sharp bits and chisels are!

I use two sharpening tools. One from Woodcraft http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/144...ening-KIt.aspx . This cuts a new edge on the inside of the chisel.

Then I hone the inside edge of the chisel with this tool from Rockler http://www.rockler.com/3-piece-morti...sharpening-set .

Then I flatten/sharpen/knock off the burr on all 4 sides of the mortiser chisel like you would the back of a bench chisel. For that I use a diamond card.

Then I sharpen the cutting edge of the bit using a jeweler's file and a diamond card hone.

With sharpened bit and chisel, I dearly enjoy using my mortiser. Sharp tools are the key!
    Ken F is dead-nuts on target. If you follow his step-by-step directions, you will be fine. If you ignore them, then even my PM 719 is junk. Same deal as getting a BMW with worn-out brakes and thread-bare tires: the true results are governed by where the rubber meets the road.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.