Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slight bow in edge when jointing long/large boards

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aeschliman View Post
    If you're working with a long workpiece that has a meaningful crook, there's a point where the jointer can't remove all of it because the leading edge of the workpiece will drop toward the ground as it exits the out-feed table.
    Yep...and the same dynamic in reverse will occur as the trailing edge, starting off lower than the infeed table, rises as the board moves across the table. It's simple physics and a single roller stand positioned at each end of the machine will not correct the issue. You must either extend infeed-outfeed tables planar to existing, or straight line the board prior to jointing.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Long Warped Boards

Over 40 yrs ago at a vocational HS, I was taught how to run warped boards over a jointer with the crown up or down. Jointer or board length do not matter. With my 6" Ridgid, I recently edged some 5/4 Hard Maple, some with 1"+ crowns that were all 12' long. Not easy handling boards that long and heavy by yourself, but it CERTAINLY can be done. Need I review the process to this professional audience?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carreiro View Post
    Over 40 yrs ago at a vocational HS, I was taught how to run warped boards over a jointer with the crown up or down. Jointer or board length do not matter. With my 6" Ridgid, I recently edged some 5/4 Hard Maple, some with 1"+ crowns that were all 12' long. Not easy handling boards that long and heavy by yourself, but it CERTAINLY can be done. Need I review the process to this professional audience?
    One way to do that is to feed alternating ends of the board, a short length at a time each pass, until the arc begins to flatten to the point where the crown portion will not breach either the infeed or outfeed tables. What is your process?
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Correct Scott... for running edges crown down. For running crown up, place the crown center on the infeed table so both board ends are level to each other and joint maintaining boards orientation. When cutter contact stops, place fresh edge on infeed and repeat. It's not difficult. I've been doing it all my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carreiro View Post
    Correct Scott... for running edges crown down. For running crown up, place the crown center on the infeed table so both board ends are level to each other and joint maintaining boards orientation. When cutter contact stops, place fresh edge on infeed and repeat. It's not difficult. I've been doing it all my life.
    Bob, yeah I'm with you on that. For me, I was looking for a solution not so neander mostly because I was in a hurry so I came up with the straight line sled idea.
    Scott Vroom