View Poll Results: What do I do about my MIL's house?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • List for $46K and hope to get lucky

8 24.24%
  • List for $39K and sell quickly

12 36.36%
  • Sell to friend and split mortgage

0 0%
  • Sell to friend and dump mortgage on BIL

1 3.03%
  • Do whatever wife and BIL want, and ignore it all

12 36.36%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do I do about selling a house?

What do I do about selling a house?

My MIL died last year and left my wife and BIL with house. It is in poor condition in a depressed neighborhood. Realtor says it is worth between about $46,000. We have finally remove the huge piles of debris and are ready to sell it. We really really really want to get rid of it quickly.

BIL has a friend that rents out houses and is willing to give us $40,000 for it. Unfortunately he is unable to get a mortgage, or even put down a down payment, and wants us to take back a 100% mortgage at a the lowest commercial rate. BIL trusts him totally. I don't. It is easy to see situations where he rents it and the tenant trashes it. Having no means to fix it back up, he give it back to us and we now have less than when we started. Or he gets ill and do the routine maintenance he intended. Tenant gets angry and leaves. Again we are screwed.

I would rather sign with the realtor and put it on the market for $39,000. At that price it should sell quickly; even after the realtor's commission it still seems like a better deal than selling to the friend, as we don't have to worry about getting it back from the purchaser.

As a compromise I suggested we sell to the friend for $40,000. My BIL should give my wife $18,000 and keep the mortgage. Whatever happens after that is his problem; the extra $4,000 is compensation for the risk. My wife thinks that is a great idea, but of course if it went bad we would help BIL out. NO, the whole point of it is that we have taken less than half and are done.

So, what do I do? (or at least, try to do...)

Just as an aside, her only other probate asset is an old car that BIL wants to give to a friend who needs a car but can't afford one. I didn't comment on that one.
    It is also fair to say that BIL lives near the house, so not selling quickly might be more of a burden for him than for use, as he would have to let people in and such.
    Last edited by Wade Lippman; 02-10-2015 at 12:09 PM.

Couple of options:

One, stay out of it. Family stuff never goes well. Let wife and BIL do what they are happy with.

Two, I wouldn't do a deal with anyone who puts no equity into the deal. That leaves you with all the risk, and only half the reward if it works out favorably.

Three....selling at $40,000 to the friend in exchange for $18,000 to your wife doesn't work as the buyer has no cash, and can't get a mortgage, leaving your BIL out $18,000 and a LOT of hard feelings when the deal with his friend falls apart. (How can the friend be in the real estate rental biz but has no cash and can't get a mortgage?).

Four: list it for $46 ish, and be prepared to hit the first bid above $40 K. Not to pooh-pooh $5-6,000, but in the overall scheme of things, it just isn't worth fiddling around with.

I wouldn't list it at $39,000 just to preserve the friendship between your BIL and his friend who is "willing" to pay $40,000...if he had the ability to do so ( he apparently doesn't, so it is irrelevant, but keeping the peace never hurts)

Good luck. Swift disposition to an "external" buyer would broadly be my advice.

List it and the car for sale ASAP. Want to sell them quick, price them lower. Split the proceeds and move on. How much is the car worth? If it is more than $1000, and if the BIL wants to donate the car to a friend then subtract half the reasonable value of the car from his half of the house sale. He gets what he wants (for the car) and your wife gets made whole financially. Any no down, owner carry is risky enough IF the purchaser is going to live in the residence. If the prospective buyer has already stated he would be renting the property, then it is a double risk since he doesn't have equity (both monetary and pride in his personal residence) in the home. It is always guaranteed to be back to our wife and BIL in case of default, but trust me...from a landlords perspective...renters can destroy a property. If the damages are enough h could just walk away and leave you hanging. Not to mention the friend favoritism from your BIL's perspective.

Sell em and move on
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Sell it. List it for $46 and if I were you take anything above $38 or so after negotiating the price, to just to get rid of it. A couple grand hopefully isn't worth the trouble of holding onto a property and all that goes with it.

Don't be surprised when you get a lowball of $35.
    Last edited by Matt Day; 02-10-2015 at 1:33 PM.

I'm with everyone else here. Sell to a real buyer and DO NOT take on ANY financing. I've seen that go wrong and you don't want to be there.

Sell for cash in hand.... you bil plan. Risk 100% rewad. 0% well most likly.....

Blog Entries
    Its their mom, they get the winning vote. ;-)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-10-2015 at 3:03 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

NEVER sell to friends or family. It will not turn out well.
    Sell it for the $39k and be done with it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I agree with the advice here. Get the cash and run. Never take a mortgage, especially from someone who can't get a mortgage from anyone else - there's a reason no one else will give them a loan.

I'd list it for mid 40's and be willing to drop as soon as someone makes an offer.

Any deal that involves family has the potential to destroy relationships.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Exactly what Mike wrote. The other options will not end well.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

No matter how it turns out, if you get into this game - you will lose.

Get an executor, and pay for the 'insulation'.

Sorry for your issues but we went through this just last year. It took us 7 20 yard dumpsters to get the house cleaned out, not liveable, both my kids wanted it but it needed a complete rehab down to the studs and foundation work. The neighbor offered to buy it from us and we did. It was the best thing we ever did, yes it was hard emotionally but it was the best thing. As to the friend wanting you to back the mortgage, HELL NO. NEVER mix business with pleasure. It will ruin your friendships trust me.......

I hope you find a way to dispose of it and keep your wife happy.

Bryan

Blog Entries
    List it for $39k and get out from under it.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

It all comes down to risk assessment and the level of risk you are willing to take on.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    List it for $39k and get out from under it.
    Yep. Everything about this thing sounds a bit suspicious. Your BIL sounds like a great guy, I guess, but he wants to give away family assets that aren't his. He can get a mortgage, buy it outright, and do as he likes from there.

If your "get out quick" number is, say, $38k, then let him buy it for $36 - 37. The "family discount". But - don't take back any sort of mortgage, at any rate.

Then run.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.