Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: If you could do just one premium plane...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    I would settle for a Stanley No. 55...with ALL of the cutters, plus all the Hollows and Rounds that were made for it AND the #45...don't forget the Nosing set. I think that should about hit the $1K mark....
    To the best of my knowledge the only hollows & rounds made for the #55 were eight blades for cutting hollows and rounds. They didn't have a special base for those. The central tower and shoe performed the support when needed for the round blades and other shapes.

The #45 & #55 have different spacings for the rods used to support the movable skate and fence and add on bases.

There are at least two of the nosing sets currently on the auction site. One is Buy It Now for $99.99 + free shipping. The other is $125, also including shipping.

If you know someone who wants to pay $1K they can have mine and you can get a 15% finders fee.

Didn't look deep in everything that popped up but there were a couple of H & R bases for sale without blades. Both were BIN @ $110 + free shipping. The blades from the #55 can be used with these.

For my needs, it was less expensive to put together an almost complete set (mostly even sizes) of wooden hollows & rounds.

Looking back to the beginning of this thread, that was my answer to, "if you could do just one premium plane." Though it is more like a few dozen planes purchased than just one.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 12-22-2021 at 1:16 PM. Reason: speling corrections and wording
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have 2 Stanley No. 45s both have the OEM sets they came with when new. The 4 sets of H&Rs and the Nosing set all will fit the 45. It would be nice to have a complete No.55...but not NEEDED for what I do...

However....
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Another vote for the LN 5 1/2. I love mine.

I have 2 Stanley No. 5-1/2 ( T-11, and T-19) AND a Millers Falls No. 15......I think I'm set....
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    I have 2 Stanley No. 45s both have the OEM sets they came with when new. The 4 sets of H&Rs and the Nosing set all will fit the 45. It would be nice to have a complete No.55...but not NEEDED for what I do...

However....
    There were five #45s in the shop until one was given to my grandson recently. One is a type 3 or 4, no blade adjuster, that doesn't get used much. One of them came with all the cutters including the special cutters. Over the years many spares of those were acquired here & there. Record & possibly Clifton made them into the 1980s if my memory is working. Most of the duplicates were also given to my grandson with the other blades for his #45.

My #55 is complete. It gets used to make moldings for different projects.

A #50 also gets used regularly.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Here's a pic of a Clifton Multiplane, not mine

edit: based on the owner i would guess it was made around the 1980's

clifton multiplane w logo.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Soaper; 12-23-2021 at 1:02 PM.
    Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland