Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: If you could do just one premium plane...

For a Grand.....I'd just go and buy the rest of the line of type 4 Millers Falls planes......

I also like Millers Falls. I would love some nice molding plane set, but those are super expensive, I will probably end up making them at some point.

I do only have one "premium" plane, even though I have, and use, many including at least one of each and multiples of some. The one "premium" plane I have is the LV Shooter. I'd probably have an old one of those too if it didn't cost several times as much as the LV, which works like a charm. I don't own a single plane just to own it. All mine are users.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I do only have one "premium" plane, even though I have, and use, many including at least one of each and multiples of some. The one "premium" plane I have is the LV Shooter. I'd probably have an old one of those too if it didn't cost several times as much as the LV, which works like a charm. I don't own a single plane just to own it. All mine are users.
    All of mine are users as well. And things will stay that way...

I could really see myself dropping a two grand English infill on my concrete shop floor....a process that would be much less painful with a prewar Stanley.

Blog Entries
    Just ONE??? That's like asking me to eat just one potato chip out of the bag, or one spoonfool of ice cream, or one chocolate chip cookie. I really don't believe it's even possible.

That said, wow, I do love my LN #4 bronze, but that means I'd have to give up my LV bevel up smoother, which I also love, and the blades swap with my other LV bevel-ups, but if I can only have ONE premium plane, I am going to go with the LN #4. This does mean I get to have other old Stanleys, right? I mean, if I can't even have old Stanley #5, #7, etc., then please just shoot me and don't torture me to death.

Oh wait... the LV shooting plane... you know what, I think I would keep that one because I can tune a Stanley #4 to do close enough to as good as the LN (close enough, mind you- not better) but the shooter has taken my joinery to new levels. I don't think I can replace it. Sure, I could use a Stanley #5, but not with different blade angles for end versus straight grain. Also the shooter can become a jointer on a very long shooting board. I'm going to change paddles mid-stream- I'd keep the LV shooter.

Oh wait.... my beautiful LN bronze block plane would have to go then??? You know what- I hate you. Why even suggest such a thing as only ONE premium plane???? Are you real, or was this thread started by my wife? (HAHA)

Blog Entries
    Okay, reconsidering with the $1000 price limit, I'd get a Lazarus smoother- the top one on this page. He usually runs in the $700 range.

http://www.lazarushandplane.com/new-page/

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Okay, reconsidering with the $1000 price limit, I'd get a Lazarus smoother- the top one on this page. He usually runs in the $700 range.

http://www.lazarushandplane.com/new-page/
    Le me return the "hate back"....I did not know his tools existed. Both of our wives might become rather frustrated, methinks.

Much nicer looking than a British infill antique, and I like his work better than the Scott Meeks planes. Unreal.

And i meant one plane in addition to what you own now, you did not have to give up anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post

And i meant one plane in addition to what you own now, you did not have to give up anything.
    I honestly never thought I'd be able to say this, but I'm happy with the planes I have now, and can simply make any historical planes I don't have but want to try out. The siren song of premium planes lured me to the rocks and I crashed hard, but I've slowly worked my way off those rocks. I've given up on the prospect of ever owning the LN plow (which is the last premium plane I "need").
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

I'm with Tony: LN brass #4

Just one plane? LV (or LN) bevel up jack. Hands down. Use the leftover money to buy wood or a smoother and a jointer.
    Paul

Blog Entries
    The only planes not already in my accumulation would be some molding planes like a decent set of hollows & rounds.

That is likely my next cycle of savings and acquiring.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I'm pretty happy with the bench planes I have. The lone exception is a block plane. Mine is junk and I could use a decent LA block but it works well enough for now. What I could really use is a plow plane. I'd be happy with the Veritas but a vintage #238 or even a #50 would do just as well.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

I've been eye ballin a LV Shoot plane. Well under a grand, but a nice addition. Oh, what the heck, let's get a left and right version.
    Maurice

I absolutely don't need any more planes.....

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rode View Post
    I'm pretty happy with the bench planes I have. The lone exception is a block plane. Mine is junk and I could use a decent LA block but it works well enough for now. What I could really use is a plow plane. I'd be happy with the Veritas but a vintage #238 or even a #50 would do just as well.
    I bought the Low Angle Rabbiting block plane from Lie Nielson, cleans up rabbits, tenons, works as a darn good low angle block plane also. Does not have an adjustable mouth, but given a sharp blade it's never had a problem.