Thread: First lidded box

First lidded box

I found myself "obsessing" over pictures I'd posted here, so I had stopped posting. But I thought I'd like to share this one, because I've not seen another like it.

The inspiration came as I was sitting in a friends man-cave looking at his various Guinness themed decorations.

About 7" tall with lid and 3.5" around. It is is black walnut in spindle orientation (end grain hollowing) and Curly Maple. I dyed the walnut black to get the color better and finished the whole thing with spray on polycrylic.

Comments and critiques are encouraged. I left a mark on the inside where I used my chuck to grip it when I cleaned up the bottom.

Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

Very nice Scott

Awesome. Guinness would be proud.

Looks like genuine Stout to me. Always interesting to see new shapes, I like it!
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

Your poly came out a lot like something I just did in walnut also (I'm new to turning as well). When in the light, the finish looks uneven, know what I mean? Is it because of the pores in the walnut changing the ways the light reflects?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Wolfe View Post
    Is it because of the pores in the walnut changing the ways the light reflects?
    I think it is the nitrogen bubbles rising in the Guinness.

Great idea and execution, Scott!

Nice! Guinness themed "decorations" eh?

I like it.

Red
    RED

Nice piece! Fine addition to any man cave. I may have to copy your idea to put with my collection of ceramic mugs and steins. Would look nice next to my elm holy grail

Thanks for all the compliments. Kevin, the finish is a result of not filling the pores in the walnut first. I didn't mind too much on this one since it did look a bit like bubbles.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum