Thread: A good day's work...

A good day's work...

After a a year and a half of building my new shop, I'm finally getting to put it to use.
    Few months ago a lot was cleared near me and I grabbed as much maple as I could. Since these were large trees, the guys cut the trunk into what they called "cookies".
    Fortunately, they offered as much as they could stack in my trailer.

Last weekend I had a chance to spin up the first cookie.
    Big dish 1.jpg

It was about 200 lbs. I have an overhead trolly and hoist which really helps
    A big face plate and lots of screws keep things in place.
    Big dish 2.jpg

Big dish 3.jpg
    Half way there
    Big dish 4.jpg
    with a bit of a mess to deal with. I usually clean with a snow shovel.

Big dish 5.jpg
    Its end grain piece so carving out the inside was a challenge. My hook tool wasn't up for it and broke within 5 min.

Big dish 6.jpg
    At this point it was down to about 20 - 30 lbs and easier to spin at higher speeds. One big catch caused a bit of grief that was hard to work out.

Big dish 7.jpg
    At this point I was 4" off the tool rest so switched to a scraper.

Now I just need to wait a few months for it to dry out and hope it doesn't crack.
    Its covered in sealing wax and stored in a very cold spot. The last one worked...so fingers crossed.

Olaf

That's awesome, Olaf. I was thinking I need an overhead trolley and hoist. Could you post some photos of trolley and hoist. Thanks.

Very nice! What make is your lathe?

Doug

Trolley.jpg

Its an aluminum i-beam, bolted through the ceiling with a couple of industrial laundry trolleys I got off ebay for $25. Some scrap metal and a few pulleys.
    The tail stock is about 300# so its the only way to get it off.

The head/tail stock were made by Cant Brothers in about 1880's (and a few mods along the way)
    This piece was pushing the limits; a bit disconcerting when the bed is flexing as the blank spins.

Last time I tried this (about 3 years ago) the whole lathe was bouncing up and down, despite being bolted to the wood floor.
    Now its feet are covered in poured concrete and re-barred into the floor. Makes me feel a bit better.

Olaf

like your shop.....old lathes that work make their own statement....thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    like your shop.....old lathes that work make their own statement....thanks for sharing
    +1 I like the trolley setup along the lathe bed too. I have considered a big lathe like this and appreciate the info. Would love to see more about the lathe and the workpiece.

Very impressed and great pics. Looking forward to seeing the finished product (in a couple of months).

Red
    RED

There's some more info on the lathe here: http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind....aspx?id=14788.
    Some from the previous owners shop, the others from my old shop.

Its nowhere near as refined as as big Oneway, but it works for me and was about 10% of the cost.
    I really like doing big pieces, but didn't have $5-10k to spend on a suitable lathe.

This one started life as a simple post & beam lathe, then went through various improvements over the 100 year life span.
    Since then, I've picked up many other old machines and restored them. Great quality, will outlast me by far. Easy to work on. And fun to restore.
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...77853425424033

I'll snap some more pics of the bowl on the weekend and few predecessors - its at the cottage, 3 hrs away.
    Thanks

Olaf

Cool, I'm glad to see you have it on the mothership. Love the big "C" bandsaw. Looks like it was from a combo machine?

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Ladendorf View Post
    Love the big "C" bandsaw. Looks like it was from a combo machine?
    Doug
    Nope, its a MacGregor Gourlay, circa 1909, still very close to the original form.
    http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/333/3026.pdf scroll down to page 5.
    I get a lot of comments on it, even from people who know nothing about woodworking.

Its running now, but no guards yet. So it still scares the $&*( out of me.
    Building guards is high on my list. Unfortunately, its a long list.

Olaf