Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jigsaw Recommendations

Jigsaw Recommendations

I cannot find my jigsaw. It's simply not where it should be located and the shop is incredible organized. It's a Bosch and if it needs to be replaced what would you folks recommend as it's replacement? Still looking around the shop. Someone might have "borrowed" it.

I have heard a lot of good things about Bosch JS572EBL,the model # is very important since the other model(JS470EB) seems to be less "desirable " though it looks identical to js572EBL.the price difference is also another indication.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-JS572EBL...ct_top?ie=UTF8

I had a Bosch JS470E and didn't like it. Blades wondered too much and no light, also the blade was not 90 degrees in-line to the base so inside corners weren't clean. Having LEDs on a jigsaw is excellent once experienced. I sold the Bosch and bought a corded Carvex which has been excellent, no regrets now.
    Last edited by John Schweikert; 02-12-2015 at 11:00 AM.

Blog Entries
    This is why you can't call a Bosch jigsaw a Bosch jigsaw. The JS470 is not a JS572 any more than the 1587 was a 1591. Although similar in appearance the saws are different. The 470 (like the 1587) primarily targets the Lowe's/BORG market. The BORGs will also have (or have had) the 159X or 572 tools available but, primarily use them to "sell off of". This comparison moves folks to the lower priced units as if they are "almost the same thing". This is not nefarious, it is a valid form of sales strategy in many fields.

The point is, compare apples to apples when comparing varying brands and find what is right for you. A jigsaw is probably the most personal preference corded tool this side of a router. It has to fit your hands and feel under control to you. Certainly there are groups or classes of tools you will want to search within based on price tolerance. After that, the fit and feel of a jigsaw becomes very personal ;-)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-12-2015 at 11:28 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    A jigsaw is probably the most personal preference corded tool this side of a router.
    Like everyone else, I have pile of corded jigsaws (PC, Bosch) - to which I've now been forced regrettably - to return. My "go to hack" tool for the past few years has been the cordless Dewalt. It's so incredibly versatile and convenient without the cord. I use it for metal frequently and not only to keep metal chips out of the shop by cutting outside. It is also incredibly convenient for any "rough" cut on wood. Unfortunately part of the blade retainer broke ... would cost more to replace than buy a new tool. Therefore looking for a new and better cordless. A cordless with more granular speed and orbit controls would be fabulous. Point is, jigsaws, like drills, are exceptionally convenient as cordless.

I know is much more expensive, but it is one of the best.

I got the nice barrel grip Makita for Christmas (I may have sent a link to wifie...) and so far I like it a lot. I just wasn't ready to spend on a Festool or Mafell.

Fidel, a mere $735 for a jigsaw.

The Festool jigsaw is half the cost of the Fidel, Rich, and what I'd recommend but I long ago got addicted to the green Kool-aid.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

This is cordless, but I bought the DeWalt 20 V cordless jigsaw and have been happy with it. I also have a Festool corded and probably should sell it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    This is cordless, but I bought the DeWalt 20 V cordless jigsaw and have been happy with it. I also have a Festool corded and probably should sell it.

Mike
    Mike, if you feel like it, I would like to hear the pros/cons (besides cordless) of that Dewalt vs. what you may have used before. I have a Bosch 1587 that I've been very happy with but I have several 20v. DeWalts now and could buy just the bare tool, which would be an occasional convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    The Festool jigsaw is half the cost of the Fidel, Rich, and what I'd recommend but I long ago got addicted to the green Kool-aid.
    To be honest, if I ever needed a true jig saw - which I really haven't had any use for all these years - I would swallow my pride along with a big gulp of Kool-Aid, and get that one also. But - I would never publicly admit it.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I looked in my tool log (made after losing tools) and discovered it had been checked out to a friend. Called the friend and he brought it back. I actually make them sign for tools so they can't say they never borrowed them. Glad it came back. New tools are too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    Mike, if you feel like it, I would like to hear the pros/cons (besides cordless) of that Dewalt vs. what you may have used before. I have a Bosch 1587 that I've been very happy with but I have several 20v. DeWalts now and could buy just the bare tool, which would be an occasional convenience.
    Sure, although I don't use a jigsaw a whole lot. Previously, I had an 18V DeWalt and was not happy with it, especially when cutting around corners in thick stock. The blade would deflect quite a bit. That's why I bought the Festool.

But the 18V DeWalt tools were getting heavy for me (as I get older), so I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to the 20V DeWalt tools. I had one 20V tool (a drill) and liked how much lighter it was than my 18V drills. As part of that upgrade, I bought the DeWalt 20V jigsaw. It has a number of advantages compared to the older 18V DeWalt. It's easier to change blades, and it appears to not deflect as much when cutting curves in thick stock. The Festool may be better on that, but the one I have is corded and sits in a systainer, so it's much easier for me to grab the DeWalt when I need a jigsaw.

The one thing I miss on the DeWalt (compared to the Festool) is no light on the work.

I don't do a lot of precision work with a jigsaw, however. Mostly use it for cutting close and then using some other tool (band saw, router) to finish.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

The Festool saws start at $275, so I don't know which ones you folks like.....