Thread: Finish cuts on some punky maple and figured myrtle

Finish cuts on some punky maple and figured myrtle

Another clip from me. I do use spindle roughing gouges for some of these cuts. Note here, never use one for roughing, but they can make very nice finish cuts. Not all will agree with me here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x2qQDNL9BQ

robo hippy

Reed, My bad internet wouldn't let me watch the video but fully agree with you on the use of spindle roughing gouges in that manner. I have two that are slightly rounded, one ground about 45 deg. and one at lets say 60 or 70 for use close to the tail stock. You can always find a suitably steep shear angle for just about any problem wood. Can never bring myself to use one on the inside of a bowl though, I'm not that brave ( or dumb)
    Last edited by Hayes Rutherford; 02-12-2015 at 8:52 PM.

Great info. The only thing I might add is that sometimes you can also try to change the lathe speed up or down to try and get a better cut or change the speed you move the tool across the wood.

The shear angle and shape of the cutting edge are all variables to play with to help cut cleaner in that style wood. The info can also help sometimes when you are cutting near the centre of a platter or bowl where the rotation speed is much lower than out on the rim and you may get some tear out.

Lloyd,
    Yea, that little spot in the dead center of the bowl is a pain because I am not always patient enough to wait and let it cut.... Hate that little tear out spot in the center...

robo hippy