Thread: Mountain Ash Bowl

Mountain Ash Bowl

Seems like a year or more ago I posted a request for ID on some wood dropped off for me by a tree guy. Reed Gray suggested Mountain Ash and then it was obvious but having been grown as an ornamental yard tree, I never looked at it as what grows all around here in the wild. Nice wood to turn if you get the chance. Mountain ash, 11" diam. walnut oil. C & C always welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a pretty bowl, Hayes. Two thumbs up!!

Really like the beading.

Very nice bowl and I like the grain pattern. Very cool.

Red
    RED

Hayes--- very nice! I especially like the beading. I'm relatively new to turning and would like some explanation of how the beading is done-----beading tool or otherwise?

Thanks for the favorable comments. Tim, I use a Thompson 3/8 detail gouge for turning beads. Hard to explain but you leave a raised area for the beads and work from right to left. With flute closed to the left, drop handle while opening flute about 45 deg. then raise handle(while rotating) and end up with the flute closed at the bottom of the bead. I'm not a good instructor and worse at putting into words what you should do.

Very nice piece of wood with outstanding color variation. Do you have any other pieces of this? Wonder how a side grain piece would look like instead of your end grain selection.

Thanks for your reply Hayes----- I'll give it a try. Maybe there's a YouTube video on this.

nice bowl.......

Nice bowl, interesting piece of wood. It that white rot I see? would have made that side a bit punky and hard to turn clean.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Thom, probably pre rot coloration. As I remember the tree was still alive but had problems. Cut clean without any noticeable difference.

White rot is not necessarily punky at all. I've had plenty that is but also plenty that isn't the least bit punky. I don't even know if you can make specific correlations for things like age of tree, type of tree, time since felling, moisture content, etc.
    you can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.

Great looking bowl!...I've been lucky enough to get some of that wood a well. I agree it's lovely to turn and has great color!

Great execution with the subtle ogee shape to the bowl (or is that Roman ogee??). Especially like what you did with the gentle reverse curve above the beads. Is that another tiny bead above the foot? Nothing like a sick tree to enhance the visual properties.