Thread: Eye opener

Angry Eye opener

I know this has been a topic brought up from time to time, but I had an experience tonight in my shop that I feel obligated to share. I've been turning for roughly nine years or so. I've had pieces blow apart, bowls come off, etc....I never used a face shield until about 15 months ago. Tonight I had a piece break off and hit me directly in the face. Ive never taken a direct hit before. Had I not had that shield on, I don't want to think about what may have happened. The piece came from a glue block (square, not round which was my own stupid fault) about 1/2 x 3/4 x 4" at 1200 rpm. Just wanted to share, for those who do not use a shield, consider it. I got one of those bionic face shields for around $30 on amazon, worth every penny after tonight. For that price there's no reason not to use one. Be safe out there everyone.

2. Glad you are okay, Jared! My Bionic faceshield saved my bacon once...........my Trend Airshield pro did on another occasion when a chunk of sycamore just came off the large blank I was turning...........scary stuff!

I have learned to check and double check things due to the mishaps, and can say that I have eliminated most of the issues with a piece coming off the chuck jaws, etc, but once in a while a piece of wood will surprise us.........I am not sure if all risk can be eliminated all the time, but we can minimize the risk down to a pretty safe level!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

glad you are ok, jared

+1 0n using the Bionic face shield. Glad you weren't hurt!

"The best things in life are not things."