Thread: Baseboard heater electric question

Baseboard heater electric question

Hi,

We bought 7' hydronic baseboard heater for to replace some heaters in the basement. The instructions say to not put it under a wall recepticles. every wall we have has one to three recepticles on it. There is no relspace to put one because of the receptacle location. Can we ignore part of the instructions?

Thanks.

Quinn.

They put it there for a reason, likely so that they aren't sued if your house burned down.
    I'm guessing they don't want their water pipe breaking and contacting the receptacles.
    Your call.

Don't breathe air. There's stuff in it that might kill you.

Blog Entries
    I suspect that they are concerned that a cord from the receptacle could come in contact with the heater and melt the wires or the heat might be enough to melt the receptacle and cause a fire. You could always remove the receptacle, wire nut the wires inside and close off the box with a metal cover.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I suspect that they are concerned that a cord from the receptacle could come in contact with the heater and melt the wires or the heat might be enough to melt the receptacle and cause a fire. You could always remove the receptacle, wire nut the wires inside and close off the box with a metal cover.
    NEC code says receptacles every 10', the likely reason he has receptacles on every wall. I would contact the manufacturer and get their response... seems a bit odd to sell a product that wouldn't be useable in houses built to code since the late-70s.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    NEC code says receptacles every 10', the likely reason he has receptacles on every wall. I would contact the manufacturer and get their response... seems a bit odd to sell a product that wouldn't be useable in houses built to code since the late-70s.
    Dan, It is actually a maximum distance of 12 feet. Art. 210.52(A)(2). SPACING. Receptacles shall be installed such that no point measured horizontally along the floor line of any wall space is more than 1.8m (6ft) from a receptacle outlet. Manufacturers usually provide optional factory designed and listed unit mounted receptacles at each end of the baseboard heaters in order to meet this code requirement, as per Article 424.9. e.g. If a 12' baseboard is installed, you would need one at each end.

Thanks everyone for their suggestions. I will call the company and see what they say. Our 2 rooms we ware putting them in where a little over recepticled. We can cal and see.

Thanks

Quinn

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Marsh View Post
    Dan, It is actually a maximum distance of 12 feet.
    Too right, my bad. Tool ate to edit my response, evidently.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I have electric baseboard heat in my house. There are receptacles over the heaters in every room. 40+ years without a problem.

Decide which wall. Go to the box remove the device, cap and tape the wires. Maybe even put a gasket on the box before closing it with a blank plate. If you ever decide to move the heater, reinstall the receptacle.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Velasquez View Post
    Decide which wall. Go to the box remove the device, cap and tape the wires. Maybe even put a gasket on the box before closing it with a blank plate. If you ever decide to move the heater, reinstall the receptacle.
    Exactly what I was going to recommend.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night