Thread: Cutting 3/16" Cherry

Cutting 3/16" Cherry

I have a gentleman that bought a bunch of 3/16 thin Cherry from me, as well as some 3/16" black walnut, and he says his laser can't cut either. He says he's never encountered this issue when he's purchased from other sources. I'd like to troubleshoot with him, and am hoping you folks can help direct me.

My wood is fully kiln dry to 8% or less, and I deliver it sanded on both sides, flat.
    He also said the wood he got has started cupping, so I've asked if his studio is heated with forced air, or radiators.
    I've asked him how many watts his laser is, and will report that when I find out.
    Is there something in his laser that could be "wearing out", that I could point him to look at?
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-15-2015 at 7:38 PM.

Find out the make and model of his laser, along with the wattage. If he will give you the speed and power settings he's using without success, it'll give this community a great chance of helping you solve it.

The short answer is, there's nothing wrong with your wood, but he might not have enough power, or might be doing something wrong, along with the fact that his laser tube could be going out (which would be a last guess).
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I can cut through a 3/16 piece of cherry easily - I have a 35 watt Epilog mini

My 25W ULS chews right through cherry and walnut up to 1/4". Not exactly a speed-demon, but nice clean cuts.
    Can't imagine he's got anything less than that...I'd guess tube fade.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

hi there
    first I am cutting up to 6mm black cherry even knotted and black walnut with my 40w machine 70% power and 6to 9mm/s speed and no problem,
    there is something wrong with his machine probably like the other comments the tube lost power or his focal distance is wrong.

greetings
    waltfl
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-16-2015 at 6:15 PM.

Deleted by Wilbur
    Last edited by Wilbur Harris; 02-16-2015 at 8:00 PM.

it depends on what part of the lumber your plank is taken from outer is easy to cut but if it is quarter sawn from the center grain is tighter and harder. take a picture of the plank and post it here.
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur Harris View Post
    I don't know any solution at all other than it seems the laser is out of whack.
    How would you put it back in whack

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    How would you put it back in whack
    Well...tell me what's out of whack and give me a chance. I'll sure try!

My post was clipped for good reason. Actually, that statement was made to sort of "lead into" what I was asking - which was seemingly not a good thing to do.
    Last edited by Wilbur Harris; 02-16-2015 at 7:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kowalczyk View Post
    it depends on what part of the lumber your plank is taken from outer is easy to cut but if it is quarter sawn from the center grain is tighter and harder. take a picture of the plank and post it here.
    No can do....
    He has them now.
    I sent him 55 boards of cherry, and 40 walnut. He's telling me that he can cut thru none of them.
    He's very trustworthy...so I don't doubt his honesty.
    He hasn't replied to me yet with the settings he's using, but I'll post that here, when I find out.

Send me one of each and I'll be happy to try on my Rabbit Laser. I cut quite a bit of cherry so I'm not thinking I'd have a problem, but I'll be happy to help out.
    Rabbit Laser 36 x 48, 80 watt laser
    Full wood shop
    Plasma cutting machine, 4' x 4'
    Vinyl Cutter

Have we found out what his machine and wattage is yet and what settings he's using. Were all pretty sure its his machine problems. But we can't help a lot till we have specifics .
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I've left my customer more than one email, and he hasn't replied.
    He may be quite busy engraving photos, but I'm hoping he's figured out the problem.
    If he replies, with more info, I will certainly post here.....

Guess he's not to worried about it if he hasn't bothered to answer your email. People complain complain and you go out of your way to help and they can't even be bothered to reply

Quote Originally Posted by dirk martin View Post
    I've left my customer more than one email, and he hasn't replied.
    He may be quite busy engraving photos, but I'm hoping he's figured out the problem.
    If he replies, with more info, I will certainly post here.....
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander