Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plough plane shopping

Plough plane shopping

Well I know LV has one and I think LN has been designing one for some time.
    The vintage market in my are is pretty hopeless. So I'm left at the mercy of the bay or the usual vintage dealers such as hyperkitten.

Do you guys have a plough? If I go the used route, what do I need to look out for? Which blades are absolutely critical? I'm thinking I need at least a 1/4" blade. Has anyone made their own? Thanks for looking guys!

I recently bought a 1/4" woodie on ebay. I couldn't believe how quickly and accurately it cut. The fence is screwed on so I intend to make different ones as I need them and also buy a 3/16 and 1/8" blade for it. Best $20.00 I've ever spent. I still would like one of the fancy adjustable ones with multiple blades.

Where would you get these extra blades Richard?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cherry View Post
    Well I know LV has one and I think LN has been designing one for some time.
    The vintage market in my are is pretty hopeless. So I'm left at the mercy of the bay or the usual vintage dealers such as hyperkitten.

Do you guys have a plough? If I go the used route, what do I need to look out for? Which blades are absolutely critical? I'm thinking I need at least a 1/4" blade. Has anyone made their own? Thanks for looking guys!
    Mike,

Everyone has to make their own decision in the long run. The plane that will work best for you will depend on your needs.

A 1/4" blade will be good for most drawer and panel work. Other sizes may come in handy for other work.

My most used plow plane is a Stanley #45. Not too long ago a Stanley #50 was added. The #50 is set up with a 1/4" blade and is used mostly for drawer bottoms.

The #45 is versatile in that it can also be used to make some simple moldings.

Some of the modern plow planes are likely to be easier for a beginner to get good results. Once through the learning curve, the #45 can be an incredibly versatile plane to use.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I think LV sells blanks. I'll have to check again. I know I saw them somewhere.
    wrong. https://www.lie-nielsen.com/nodes/41...ne-iron-blanks
    Last edited by Richard Hutchings; 02-15-2015 at 1:31 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cherry View Post
    Where would you get these extra blades Richard?
    There always seems to be blades listed on ebay.

One of my searches used to be "Stanley 45" looking for parts, blades and planes.

Now that there are a few in my shop and more than a full set of blades, that search is no longer active.

There are also some vendors that sell and/or make replacement parts.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have the Veritas plow plane and a full set of the Imperial size blades. Mostly I use the 1/4" blade. I also use the other smaller blades, but have not yet had a use for the larger blades. All my frame and panel, and drawer pieces see the plow plane. A great tool.

Thanks for the insights guys! So a 45 or 50 is what I should search for? Anything to be especially watchful for? What are some key areas that will make you walk from the plane?

I really only predict using it like David mentioned. Mostly 1/4" drawer pieces

I'm gathering a set of wooden body planes for this purpose.

They're going cheap, and irons can be replaced pretty easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    I'm gathering a set of wooden body planes for this purpose.

They're going cheap, and irons can be replaced pretty easily.
    Jim could you elaborate a bit? What are you gathering and how do you intend to use them haha

I want a selection of the basic sizes I use, set to standard offsets so I don't have to reset blades. I'm after the same for dadoes.

Ahh that's pretty smart Jim. Thanks for your replies everyone.

I'm lazy, not smart.
    For the price of an excellent new LV
    I can have three of the common size
    woodies and money left over for beer.

Blog Entries
    I have two wooden plow planes. One is an old woody with mismatched irons. I have a couple of irons that fit.

The other Mujingfang Japanese plow plane that actually out performs the old woody, but it is a marginal plane.

I probably have $200 in both of them. For less than $300, I could have the Lee Valley small plough plane with all of the cutters.

Seems like a no brainer to me.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 02-16-2015 at 10:35 AM.

Blog Entries
    I have an old woody with mismatched irons. I think two of them fit. I also have a Mujingfang plow plane.

I probably have $150 -$200 in them. Shopping for irons that fit an old woody is a hit and miss operation.

I wish I had invested in the LV small plough plane.

Just another view point. I would rather be ploughing than messing with a old plane.

This is a duplicate post. I'm getting a lot error messages this morning about the Sawmill Creek data base errors.
    Maybe an administrator can delete this post.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 02-16-2015 at 10:35 AM.