Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Like the first scratch on a brand new car . . . . .

Dude, those aren't scratches. What you have is the prototype LV B/U CORROGATED Smoother.
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Roy Underhill in a recent program mentioned using the easiest to sharpen first on dirty wood. Guess it could also apply to using the one least likely to make a grown man cry if it gets scratched to clean off any scruffiness before hitting it with the pretty tools.

When there are multiples in my shop, the pretty ones tend to get sold first.

jtk
    I keep a couple of planes around (in particular a Stanley 220 and a Prewar Stanley #4) for just that reason....dirty wood dulls blades.

Meh... I would rather have a scratched up premium tool that gets used over a pretty premium model that sits on a shelf. Of course though, the first mark stings just a little but after that, move on happily knowing the bandaid is gone!

Quote Originally Posted by bob blakeborough View Post
    Meh... I would rather have a scratched up premium tool that gets used over a pretty premium model that sits on a shelf. Of course though, the first mark stings just a little but after that, move on happily knowing the bandaid is gone!
    My sentiments exactly! The wood shop is not exactly a gentle environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I got the urge to put a little time on the LV BU Smoother I got on Cyber Monday. Just havent used her and felt like planing for a few minutes just for "fun". (Sick, I know.)

Grabbed a 2' scrap, brushed it off and set to work. After a few minutes I noticed small ridges in the wood. On my bevel downs, that usually indicates a chipped blade. So I turned over this brand new plane and see a bunch of deep scratches on the sole and the blade. Dont know what grime I failed to brush off, but man it did a number on me. Felt sick to my stomach - I dont have an hour on this tool yet.

After I stopped swearing, I got out some 220 grit sandpaper, glued it to my flat plate, and tried to work out the scratches. Only got about half - they were deep and I was reluctant to get this high performance tool out of tolerances. (Checked and its still flat and takes a .002 shaving, which is about normal/avereage for my sharpening skill level.) So I didnt screw her up.

But she's still scratched. AAAARRRRRRGHHHH!
    Just thinking out loud....... Do you think that the blade chipped out a small piece, that got embedded into the wood, you made a few swipes across it... badabing .. collateral damage?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Just thinking out loud....... Do you think that the blade chipped out a small piece, that got embedded into the wood, you made a few swipes across it... badabing .. collateral damage?
    Hmmmm. Coulda been Pat. That would explain it. No real way to be sure - chicken and egg thing - but your idea sure seems plausible.

To everybody - thanks again. Im slowly calming down, with your help! But it really is just like that first scratch on your new car. Battlescars indeed!

I really do enjoy nice tools and so far I like this BUS. Cant wait till LV sends my LA Jack!

Have a good rest of the week!
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 02-17-2015 at 11:29 PM. Reason: clarify
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    Dude, those aren't scratches. What you have is the prototype LV B/U CORROGATED Smoother.
    Harold, I had exactly that same thought!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”