Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toilet Seals

Toilet Seals

I am in the process of a bathroom remodel. I have the toilet out to put in a new floor and paint the wall so a new seal will be needed. I was at the big box stores the other day and saw some new types of seals to replace the wax seal. They were a type of foam that was re-positionable. Years ago I tried a rubber seal that did not leak water surprisingly but did lead sewer odor.

Link to one of them http://www.lowes.com/pd_470197-31904...2Bseal&facetIn

Korky brand http://www.lowes.com/pd_586597-868-6...uctId=50150240

Has anyone used one of these, do they work? Stay with the old standby wax ring?

Thanks
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

If it ain't broke, why fix it??

I like Sani Seal toilet rings. Very nice to use...especially holding the bolts in place.

Edit: Guess I shoulda clicked on your first link, George! LOL
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I'm not a big fan of the Korky type. They tend to plug up with a large, umm, err, you know.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    I'm not a big fan of the Korky type. They tend to plug up with a large, umm, err, you know.
    No, Myk. I don't know. Can you spell it out in more detail, please?

Are you saying that your "large, umm, err, you know" is larger than the "umm, err, you know" of the rest of us?

Is this a symptom endemic to Michigan in mid-February? Not getting out ice fishing often enough, are we? Too much time eating bowling alley food? Haven't' been to any Bob Seeger concerts latelY?

Inquiring Minds want to know.

You remember, I am sure, that I lived in SE and mid-Mich for 25+ years. So - I have some level of understanding..................
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

At first I thought it said "Toilet Seats" and I thought to myself, "You know, there are some things a man's just got to figure out for himself."

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    At first I thought it said "Toilet Seats" and I thought to myself, "You know, there are some things a man's just got to figure out for himself."

We have a winner!!

Ya' know, John....there are days on the Creek where I think you and I are here solely to entertain each other.

Keep up the good work, brudda.............
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post

Are you saying that your "large, umm, err, you know" is larger than the "umm, err, you know" of the rest of us?

Is this a symptom endemic to Michigan in mid-February? Not getting out ice fishing often enough, are we? Too much time eating bowling alley food? Haven't' been to any Bob Seeger concerts latelY?

You remember, I am sure, that I lived in SE and mid-Mich for 25+ years. So - I have some level of understanding..................
    I think it has to do with combining sleeping plll and a laxative on the same night......... er, ummmm... whatever that is!!

9. Wish I had seen those last time I changed a seal, the wax seals are so messy and sticky.

I used a Fernco toilet seal once. It sticks to the toilet with adhesive. Mine came loose and started leaking because the toilet had somehow come loose. I went back to the wax rings after that as they will still seal if the toilet moves a little bit. (I fixed the issue with the toilet coming loose.)

Please NO pictures!!!!
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

You're just being a t*r* today, aren't you?
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 02-18-2015 at 11:52 AM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    You might want to see what your local plumbing code allows to be used.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I thought the same thing when I read it last night.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

The seal is not usually the problem, but the bolts that hold the toilet down. When I built new houses, or redo old ones, I come up with some way to have stainless bolts coming up from under the floor that are permanently secured. The simplest of wax seals never leak when the toilet is held down so good. The biggest trouble comes from bolts rusting out, or wallowing out the keeper slots in plastic flanges. My method bypasses the importance of the flange other than being part of the seal system.