Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CBN wheels and woodcraft grinder

CBN wheels and woodcraft grinder

I found several posts on this topic here on SMC. Yesterday after doing a little cleaning and organized after my recent project, I installed two new CBN wheels (80 and 180) on my woodcraft slow speed grinder. I sharpened around 10 turning tools and was ready to stop when I noticed a electronic type smoke smell. The grinder was also very hot to the touch, and had smoke coming out of each side of the motor housing. I sharpen with very little pressure and no stalling or slow down of motor. I was worried enough to put the grinder outside in case it caught on fire.

Today, I decided to try it again. I did give the wheels a hard tug to get them moving and then turned on the grinder. It was running for about 30 seconds and still didn't come up to full speed.

Does this sound like a dead or dying grinder or possible bad capacitor.

I have attached two pictures, one of capacitor and one of back side of grinder with wheels attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Stephen Massman; 02-17-2015 at 11:39 AM. Reason: format

Generally a cap failure is noticed when the motor doesn't start moving, but if you switch the power on, with the wheel already moving it quickly comes up to speed.
    My guess is a winding or brush issue.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Out of curiosity, are the new wheels heavier than the old ones?

I find it curious that this appears to have started immediately after you changed the wheels.

The photo you show of the capacitor doesn't seem to show evidence the smoke was coming from the capacitor. I suspect the smoke is coming from the motor.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-17-2015 at 12:21 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

The CBN wheels are heavier than the AO wheels that were on it. I also find it strange that the problem didn't come up until after I swapped out to new CBN wheels.

I have the same setup and have had no problems.

Smoke out of the vent holes and high temperatures are generally a bad thing. Since the motor can't reach full speed, sounds like the capacitor and starting windings don't drop out of the circuit on start-up. Not sure if a relay is used but doubt it's is a mechanical / centrifugal switch. For safety sake, it would be advisable to do further testing using a GFI protected circuit. As of Saturday, I have the same setup. Had been using one CBN and one AO wheel for 3+ years. Just changed to the second CBN wheel and haven't notice any difference in the startup time. I always spin the wheels by hand to ease the stress of startup.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kaufman View Post
    I always spin the wheels by hand to ease the stress of startup.
    I have heard other people say they spin the CBN wheels by hand during startup. Some motors have a spec for the number of startup cycles allowed per hour. Heavier CBN wheels would take a higher startup current and make the problem worse. Undersized wiring or low house voltage would also take longer for the motor to come up to speed.

I typically measure 125-126V at my house, which is on the high side but still within spec. I also always use 12ga wiring with 20A breakers in the shop. I have one CBN and one AO wheel on the same Woodcraft grinder that has been running for a few years without issue.

Steve

I recently added a second CBN wheel and its design is such that its heavier than the first wheel (Wooden Wonders new design with 1" plating on each side). I have had to start hand spinning the wheel to get it to start up. This is a Delta VS 8" grinder. I removed a 1 1/2" thick MDF wheel that I had loaded with honing compound.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Might try removing the 80 grit. Most guys seem to use the 180 grit for sharpening. Will remove some weight and sounds like no loss if it runs properly.

I have the same grinder and it stopped working. It wouldn't start and would trip breaker after a moment or two. I brought it in for repair. They told me between the wheel and the motor is a shield to protect something or other from Sparks. The wheels got too tight and crushed this shield giving too much resistance for the start up. Maybe the wheels are on too tight or somehow that guard got crushed in?

I know nothing about electrical but have the same Grinder/CBN wheel set-up.CBN wheels are heavier-I give the grinder a spin before turning it on.Installation seemed to be straight forward for me.Hope you get it worked out.

thanks for all the insight and comments. I am going to work on it this weekend and pull both wheels off and let it run and then add one back at a time. I may also replace the capacitor since it is easy and inexpensive.

Steve

Ken at Wood Turners Wonders is now making all of his CBN wheels from 6061 Aluminum so if the weight of steel wheels is a problem his wheels may be the solution.. I realize this won't help people like me that have steel wheels but it should be a consideration for those contemplating purchasing new CBN wheels.

Cliff

the fact of the matter is that these are cheap grinders. I have had three. first two I returned because the wheels wobbled terribly and I couldn't balance them. third one runs or ran great with two cbn wheels. used it without any problems until I ran across a better jet grinder. now the woodcraft grinder just sits.

I am considering just trashing the woodcraft and going with a new jet from CSUSA. The woodcraft is five years old and at the $110 I paid for it is has had a good life.