Thread: Question: Big Plunge Routers In A Table....

Question: Big Plunge Routers In A Table....

I will be attaching my DW 625 to my router insert tomorrow night. Before I do so I have a question on how all of you guys adjust your height of your router.
    So how do you set up your heighth and fine adjust the height on one of these big boy plunge jobs and get it ready to do some routing? Do you basically lower the top limit stop so the router is raised in the table or do you just use that knob to do all adjusting of the height? Do you lock the plunge in or do you even mess with the plunge while in the table. Appreciate any help here as I just don't have a clue in the proper way to get one of these big plungers ready to route in a table.

I did use it buy itself tonight. Plunges great and the VS is very smooth. The soft start isn't like on the DW 618. It is more of a delay than a soft start, from still to the router setting pretty quickly. I liked setting the VS low and then adjusting the VS when it was up to speed. Doesn't seem to have great set up for DC but it will be in the table most of the time and using that DC set up.

Thanks,
    Corey

Corey,
    I just use the big knob on the router untill I get the height I need and then lock it down. Simple and easy.

I do same as Steve.

I have a Freud FT2000e in my table. I used to do what Steve does - use the knob to adjust the height. I "graduated" to an Incra Plunge Lift from Woodpeckers and now I adjust the bit height from the top of the table.

Basically I just plunge until its close, lock it in with the locking lever with the and then use the accessory fine adjustment knob for my Fein router to dial it in. It's not too bad. Once the router dies (if ever ) I will be replacing it with something that I can adjust from the top side.
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

Thanks guys. On the Dewalt, I guess the big silver knob is the only option in the router table. In the Wood Magazine they say for the table their is no Coarse adjustment and the fine adjustment is close to the router body. I guess they consider the silver knob the fine adjustment. I would have considered that a coarse adjustment I guess. There say in the Wood review there is an accessory large knob for adjustment at $25.00. Anyone have this and is it a worthwhile accessory?
    Thanks,
    Corey