Thread: 5 inch Acrylic Cube Award

5 inch Acrylic Cube Award

I have been asked by a customer of mine to advise them if I can make a award which comprises of a 5.5" acrylic cube broken in the middle creating two halves of one award to be shared between the recepients. The outside faces of the award will be in polished red color and the one inside face will be metallic Gold/Silver/Bronze.

I am thinking that I can get a 5.5in or 6inch Acrylic Cube, cut it in half on a band saw and spray paint the faces and then engrave/color fill.

Am I on the right track? Where can I get a 5.5inch acrylic cube? Please the attached and advise.

Regards
    Khalid
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Khalid Nazim; 02-17-2015 at 2:59 PM.
    Shenhui 80W RECI (600mm x 900mm)
    Corel X5

5" is pretty rare ($), might be easier just to source some 2.25" instead. Most of the acrylic suppliers can fabricate something. Randy at RBFabrication can work miracles.
    Bruce Clumpner
    Brandon Services Laser Engraving
    Academy Commemoratives - Personalized Memorabilia for the U.S. Service Academies
    Irvine, CA
    -
    Epilog 75-watt Helix, 40-watt 18-Mini
    Started with Corel Draw V1 now feeling the pain of CorelDraw x7
    CS4 photoshop
    CS4 illustrator
    PhotoGrav

If you are going to paint it anyway, what difference does it make? Make it from a stack of 1/2" thick pieces, glue it together, sand the edges smooth and paint it.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Perhaps zig-zag or wave the joint where the pieces fit together. If you use Scott's idea of using thinner pieces to make this thing you have some options. Make it fit together and then sand it smooth. Might be easier to change the way you're doing it altogether...just sayin'. A well made simple piece is most often better than a goofed up complicated piece. Actually, nobody is really happy with either now that I think about it.
    Hobby Laser - 1800 X 1300 dual tube Shenhui (100 and 80W)

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try these approaches and see how the results come out.
    Shenhui 80W RECI (600mm x 900mm)
    Corel X5