Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodcraft Service drop-off

Woodcraft Service drop-off

Has anyone else noticed a drop-off in customer service at Woodcraft? The last few times I have called I have been on hold for up to 20 minutes and orders that I have placed online are not processed. When I finally get to a person they seem to be searching for my order but have no excuse as to why it hasn't been processed. In addition, for the last several months, you can no longer check your order history. I don't live near a Woodcraft store so I have to order stuff online. They used to be very prompt and my orders were delivered in just a few days. Not sure what the problem is but they are about to lose a customer.

Stu
    Stuart Reid
    Fisherman in Training

I have not called them for many years so I can't speak to that. I'm waiting for a one-time tool order from months ago. I understand how the process works and why it takes months due to production. Like you, I have no way to check my order so I'm keeping fingers crossed that they still have it. The tool was supposed to ship 5 days ago, but I've heard nothing.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Yeah, I've had some issues with Woodcraft recently. Customer service has always been polite, helpful, and (eventually) solved my problem. From what they've told me, it seems like someone in their management decided they needed new inventory control software before the Holiday rush. It was installed in October and didn't work. (Shocking, I know.) That is why they have lost orders, sent duplicate orders, and you can't check your order's shipping status on their website. Given the normal rush plus the software caused problems, I assume their customer service & warehouse folks are slammed. Of course that means they are rushed and probably causing more mistakes that need fixing. I'm guessing the West Coast contrainer slowdown, "work-to-rule", and/or strike has probably caused them trouble too. Hard to predict when you'll ship out your back orders when the merchandise is parked out in the Paciic and not flowing to your warehouse. I'm assuming that's why I still have backorders from their Black Friday sale with a ship date that has slipped four times now. (Probably time to call and get another update....)

While I feel for the workers* and like their selection (and sale prices! :-) ), I think I'll be driving to their not-very-close store for anything I get from them for a while. Hopefully, they'll catch up and this will be just a funny story soon.

(* some exec really let them down. Changing software right before your busy season is a classic well-known bad idea!)
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-21-2015 at 6:03 PM.

Since our club meets at the Woodcraft Store in Allentown, I buy only at the store as versus the catalog. It is well stocked and I feel I owe them some loyalty since they are good enough to host us. It is rare they don't have what I need and if they do not they have always ordered it in for me. Sadly, other retailers carry lots of speciality things I can't possibly live without so I buy from those on line stores too.
    To David's point, the "strike" that is keeping container ships from being unloaded is just beginning to have an effect on store stocks. I'm afraid the worst is yet to come.
    faust

The new software and slow down on container unloading is affecting the stores also.

Bob

I was very loyal to Woodcraft but inability to login to place an order online, track orders or look at history because they lost my account after 6 years and thousands of dollars made me decide to spread my buying around to several stores. When I called CS they were very nice but said they were having "issues with our website". Didn't seem to get better so Rockler, Highland, Craft and Packard's are now the beneficiaries. My kids are trying to get an injunction so I don't spend all of their inheritance...

I don't order from them since I have a Woodcraft less than 10 miles from my home. I am fortunate since the new owner is himself a woodworker. He and the entire staff really cater to their customers. Plenty of local specials, and the inventory levels are way up, especially on wood. Last year I missed out buying any, but they had acquired an entire purple heart tree, as near as I could tell. Ten or more huge 2" thick slabs varying from 2-3 feet in width, and 8-10 feet or more in length.

Well it sounds like I'm not the only one having problems. I can understand not having inventory due to shipping strike but I can't understand not processing an order anther days or having the order history down for several months. I recently made an order of wood from Bell Forest in Michigan and was very pleased. I bought 10 bd. ft. of walnut and 10 of maple and all of the wood was great. I also purchased a large piece of yellow heart, almost 2 x 15 x 56 that I will probably resaw but what a beautiful piece of wood! I can hardly lift it. They sell lots of wood in 10 BF bundles, and larger if you wish, and the best part is they ship for free with a minimum purchase, I think $100.

Stu
    Stuart Reid
    Fisherman in Training

"I can't understand not processing an order anther days or ".....huh?
    TB

Bell Forest

Stu

This is my favorite candy store. When ever we go to Marquette I make a stop at Bell Forest and browse the wood shelves. They will cut off a length of wood for you which is great rather than having to buy a full board. They also have a great selection.
    Last edited by Robert Willing; 02-24-2015 at 10:33 AM.

I buy some stuff from Woodcraft (and Rockler too) but the price is almost always cheaper, the shipping is faster and return policy more flexible at Amazon. I find their selection is excellent too given that they aren't a woodworking store.

I had a 1-time tool on backorder. I kept the order confirmation. When the date was up, I sent an email reply using their confirmation email. I got a response within hours that the items just came and would ship in a couple of days which it did. I think the customer service was fine for this item. There's no tracking available though.YMMV

Stan
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

I read this thread a couple of days ago and did not comment but after today I must. I ordered a Nova lathe 11-10-14 online as it is 350 miles to the nearest Woodcraft store for me, they charged my account that day. After 3 or 4 days I noticed the money was back in my account. I called Woodcraft and was told the lathe had shipped and they were looking into it. The next day they said it had not shipped then later in the day confirmed that in fact it had shipped. To make a long story short, I finally spoke with a manager and after a couple of days they determined the lathe did ship and I did receive it, with delays, and finally the payment was made, with the manager and charged to my account. This was 11-19-2014. I just received an email stating I received an order from 11-10-2014 but I had not payed for it and that my account will be charged this Friday. I can't believe this. It's quite a bit of money, it's a 1624-44. I just spoke with Woodcraft and they are "looking into it", the person I spoke with actually remembered our conversation back in November. I also called my bank and stopped any charges from Woodcraft being applied to my account, probably won't do business with them again after this experience.

I received a letter like that for purchase of a Jet 1221 vs. I went back and checked my cc statements and did not find a charge to woodcraft.

I let them charge me. It seem like they should be more careful with their accounting dept.

Larry

Ps I ordered mine on 11/28

15. the "local" Woodcraft stores in Texas (all owned by the same franchisee) recently decided that the "club" discount of 10% that was provided in the past to certain woodturning/working clubs would be discountinued as of Feb 1 this year.

a lot of the turning I do that requires purchases is pens/kits. (I harvest my own bowl wood)

I've decided that Woodcraft doesn't need my business. I can get the same kits on-line cheaper (even after paying for shipping). I'll just plan ahead rather than running to the store when I have a tight time-frame on an order.