Thread: Opinions on lathe bench please

Opinions on lathe bench please

hey all, this weekend I acquired a jet 1221 evs, and I need to quickly slap together a bench for it.

Does the design below look decent?

I'm planing on using 8/4 had maple as I have it on hand, and I'm trying to save a few bucks. I figured the stretchers would be held in place with bed bolts, that way I could dissemble/modify the stand if i get an extension or something. I plan on setting a tool chest on the bottom stretchers to add weight and for tool storage. I added a jet 1014 for some scale.

3D.jpg
    -Dan

Looks good to me.I think with research you will find lots of folks have something similiar.Mine is case construction and has extra space to the right of the tailstock for laying down tools ect.lathe bench 10-5-14 002.jpg

Should work fine. I would move the lathe to the right on the stand so that you can access it from the tail-end for hollowing. When I built mine I put a shelf about 4" below the top stringer for tools and put the ones I expected to use on a given project there so they were close to hand. If I was to do it over I might have made it like a gardeners table with slats that would allow chips to fall through, but not rough like expanded metal.

I never bolted down the 1220 and only had problems twice. Used a C-Clamp then. Later upgraded to a 1642 and looking again now...
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

For tool storage, I was planning on making a rack like this, as it will let me keep all the tools right at my finger tips!

Lathe_storage_cabinet_044.JPG
    -Dan

Quote Originally Posted by dan sherman View Post
    For tool storage, I was planning on making a rack like this, as it will let me keep all the tools right at my finger tips!
    I think you will have serious problems with shavings/dust/etc getting caught in the tool rack and filling the holes. When I turn, a lot of shavings etc may end up in that area. At a minimum I would suggest a plastic cover to divert at least some waste, but I would have the tool rack elsewhere. Mine is separate, a step or so from the tailstock end of the lathe (and it still collects some shavings). YMMV.

I think that base could benefit from some diagonal bracing to oppose pressure on the headstock when doing bowls etc. +1 on the tools below. It will definitely fill with shavings post haste. Also, a tool holder like that will drive you nuts finding the tool you want. I can't memorize handles. I need to see the business end of the tool but that's me. Pictures please when you are done.
    Cheers from the frozen north.
    The older I get the better I was.
    Member Valley Woodturners, Ottawa

7. +1 on the diagonal bracing.....you could go from the middle of the top to the end of the foot on both sides......this will add a lot of stability.......also I agree with the shavings filling the tubes .........that setup away from underneath the lathe would work fine, but below is not a good idea.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I have a 1221vs. Here's a pic. Top is 1 1/4" mdf. The lathe is bolted to the top. Legs are cornered 2x4's. The rest is 1/2" mdf. I'm using plastic drawers on the inside.1221_cabinet w.jpg
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

looks like the bottom stretchers might get in the way of your feet if the top is that narrow.

I have found that the mini and midi lathes need some extra clearance or raised section at feet to allow easier cleaning of shavings and dust. The stretchers at floor level will also be a problem cleaning, and the front stretcher will likely be a foot interference problem as stated above. Even the little lathes can do some rumbling and shaking with unbalanced material, and yours will likely be put to that task. I have my little Nova Comet II (elevated) mounted firmly to a board that is clamped to a table so it can be carried and mounted on a Workmate for class, demo or out of shop use.

What does everyone think of a stand like this?

I would add a top stretcher, and mount the lathe to that instead of directly to the legs. I could also keep my under the lathe tool storage. I'm not to worried about it tipping, as the feet are designed to be 20" (wider than the metal manufactures stands) wide right now and I could easily make them wider. I don't think racking would be a problem with 5" x 2" stretchers, if it is, I'm probably did something wrong.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-18-2015 at 11:19 PM. Reason: removed link to other forum which violates TOSs
    -Dan

Don't think you could wrong with the stand posted on LJ's either.It appears the poster writes that it is stable with out of round pieces also.
    ​Jeff

last night I sat down and redesigned the bench/stand. The lathe will mount directly to the top of the legs, and the two large stretchers will add a lot of rigidity and weight. They will also give me a place to mount a slant board tool rack like John keeton posted here.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...77#post1638777

3d.jpg
    -Dan

I agree with Thomas, elevating the lathe above the cabinet top gives more knuckle room and makes cleanup easier. I stacked 2 layers of ply then through bolted the lathe to the top. I think you'll find those feet in your design will get in your way and that you need more mass and bracing to counteract vibration than shown in your plans.
    P1170871.JPG

I suggest building something simple, cheap and sturdy and figure out what is important to you as you use it, all of us have slight differences in how we work and how we want our work area set up.

I think the things you want to consider are is it sturdy, is it a comfortable height, can I stand comfortably at the lathe, and is there a place for tools. Make something out of 2x4s and particle board that is cheap and quick and you won't be attached to. I made four legs of doubled up 2x4s connected with stretchers on all four sides, top and bottom. Two pieces of 3/4 particle board for the top and you can use another for a shelf across the bottom stretchers. Make modifications or rebuild it as you see fit and once you know how you work make a nicer one.