Thread: Mesquite Tabletop

Mesquite Tabletop

I am finishing up a mesquite dining table top. This project was paritcularly rewarding because I took the project all the way from log to finished table. I am 50/50 on the middle board, I'm not sure if the contrast of it adds to the piece or detracts. But either way, I really had no vote in it, the logs were from someones land and they wanted a table out of them, so not like I could go buy a better board for the middle, hah. But regardless, completing the process from log to table was exceptionally rewarding.

Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Way cool. I don't think the client was entirely off base, after looking at the finished top.......not what one would call "an excellent grain match", with that center slab, but your specs ruled that out when the chainsaw hit the tree.

1] What species are the butterfly keys?
    2] FInish?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

the dovetails were also from mesquite. The owner wasn't a big fan of too many, but that middle board needed them. There are probably 8-10 on the backside. PRobably overkill on my part, but i don't want a problem later on.

the finished was boiled linseed oil, a light wipe on coat of shellac, then about 4 coats of waterlox (those pics are of the basecoats in gloss) the top/final coats will be a medium sheen.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Gotcha.

I like the finish - pretty much dead-nuts what I use on some stuff - except the "mesquite" bit - don't stumble across that in these parts too much.

Will you show us the finished table when you get there, please?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

wow! I think you did a terrific job with the material you were given..made silk out of a sow's ear!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Thanks for this post. I have a similar project on my horizon also going from logs to table. Can't wait to see the finished project.

That is truly beautiful!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Great look. I particularly like the keys and the outside shape.

Stunning wood, finish and table top. Considering the requirements presented to you, you did well! Nicely done Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I agree about the 50/50 because it is not what one expects so there is a moment of adjustment. When that moment is over you think "thats a beautiful tabletop". The wood and craftsmanship make it so.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I love it, but I've always been a sucker for mesquite. We used to have a member here, KC Constable that made the most beautiful mesquite furniture. I believe he was also form Texas.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Alex,
    Just curious where you source your mesquite from? I'm in the DFW area as well and have been toying with using Mesquite for some office furniture, but good old Wood World doesn't carry any. Just haven't gotten around to searching for it elsewhere yet.
    Clark Harbaugh

Looks fantastic to me!

I'd like to know what mesquite lumber usually runs. I'd drive down there if I could nab enough good pieces at a price to make the trip worth while. I love the look of mesquite and use a bit of it in my smoker to boot. Store bought chunks of course!