Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just purchased a near mint Model 66 Powermatic

Others will have better advice but I run75-85 wt gear oil in my Delta planer. Gears run slow enough that i don't worry about anything other than not having something in it. I keep two kinds of grease on hand as there are a million choices and not all are compatible. Generally a standard lithium based LG2 is my all around choice as it is in most machines. Bearings that need to be greased get SKF LGHP2 which is a little higher temp. You don't want to mix greases that have different bases but just as important is not overlubing. Bearings with too much grease will fail and run hot. Every machine I've torn apart has either dried out crappy grease or way too much good grease. Bearings should be filled about 1/3. Same thing with oil bath. Too much oil will heat up the bearing so you only fill until the oil gets to the level of the bottom balls rather than submerging the bearing even half way. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Spears View Post
    Grats on the saw.

Question for Peter and the rest of you WW? not to hijack thread, but might help OP and others as well.

I have same PM equipment. 66, 15" planer, shaper and 8" joiner. that I bought new about 15 years ago. have very little use on them.
    having just retired, I am finally setting it all up to use.

What is the correct lubricant and grease to use?

I went yesterday to find the 50wt gear oil for gear box on the planer. guy says they did not have 50wt BUT just use 75. I said I would look other place.

So recommend what to use when we do not know.

to the OP, hope this helps you and all the rest of us.

Thanks guys for any info you can give us.
    Not a hijack at all, very pertinent to my questions on maintenance. Thanks

Thanks David, very good info.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Rich, try not to be too jealous/bitter about other people finding deals. They do exist - there was a $400 3hp Uni here last week.
    I picked up this Unisaw last week with unifence. 3 hp single phase. The gentleman I bought the saw from had taken it apart and cleaned and re-painted the base housing. $800.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post

On a side note, thanks for posting an honest sale price. You got a fair deal to both you and the seller. Many times we hear stories about people buying saws like these for $500 or less. Those are mostly embellishments.
    Mostly embellishments? And exactly how do you know this Mr. Kreskin?

I'm one of those embellishers who bought a beautiful, lightly used Unisaw with lots of expensive extras for $500, and a 16" Laguna bandsaw with a box of new carbide tipped blades still in the packaging and other accessories for a song( I was so stunned I actually forget how much I paid. Somewhere between $600-$750),The 3 resaw blades alone retail for over $600, and an 8" General jointer, and 3 thickness planers, and a stroke sander, and a 36" drum sander, dust collection system etc...

These deals don't last long at all. The guy I bought the Laguna from said he had 3 people call him after I called and they all offered to buy it sight unseen!
    Thankfully he was a gentleman and let me have "dibs".

Ya gotta be fast.

I use 85w hypoid gear oil in the planet gear box, white lithium spray lube on the trunion gears, almost anything else picks up fine dust and turns into a nasty sticky paste quickly. I use 3 in one oil in those little holes in the top of the planet that say " lubricate every X hours". Not much else to worry about.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Peter that is exactly what I needed to know. I guess I can use mineral spirits to clean off any old grease on the trunion gears? then use the spray. I am going to service them tomorrow. Thanks again to all of you. Any more advice that anyone has to share, Please Do.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Spears View Post
    Peter that is exactly what I needed to know. I guess I can use mineral spirits to clean off any old grease on the trunion gears? then use the spray. I am going to service them tomorrow. Thanks again to all of you. Any more advice that anyone has to share, Please Do.
    I use a small nylon brush and occasionally some solvent to clean the trunion gears, not a great joy, but when freshly lubed the thing works like a dream. Not sure what is the best solvent, I usually use mineral spirits or rapid brush cleaner.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

It's a pretty simple machine to take apart and clean. It will give you a good chance to clean and lube it right.
    Don

I have a JET cabinet saw that also had a "slight roar" I noticed it more when powering down the saw and the blade was spinning to a stop. After doing some research here on the Creek with the same issue I was all set to replace the bearings because that always fixed the problem.
    I called JET to ask about replacing the bearings and they advised me to check the set screw that holds the pulleys to the arbor shaft. Turns out that was all wrong with it. I tightened the set screw and backed it up with another one.
    I guess when others were replacing the bearings they had to remove the pulleys too. When they put everything back together they tightened the set screw fixing it, not the new bearings fixed it as they thought.

I would give this a check before going to the trouble of replacing the bearings. Quick and easy to do. Just make sure to unplug the saw first.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 02-19-2015 at 11:24 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Good advice thank you. I should be all into setting this saw up by now but I delivered it last week to my new home/shop location in torn down form and have not been able to get back up on my property due to icy conditions. Hopefully next week I'll get it up and running along with some pics.

Finally got the saw inside the new shop, assembly soon.

The photo should appease those doubters.

Sure it's made in the USA? Not assembled in the USA?

15. Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bourque View Post
    Mostly embellishments? And exactly how do you know this Mr. Kreskin?

I'm one of those embellishers who bought a beautiful, lightly used Unisaw with lots of expensive extras for $500, and a 16" Laguna bandsaw with a box of new carbide tipped blades still in the packaging and other accessories for a song( I was so stunned I actually forget how much I paid. Somewhere between $600-$750),The 3 resaw blades alone retail for over $600, and an 8" General jointer, and 3 thickness planers, and a stroke sander, and a 36" drum sander, dust collection system etc...

These deals don't last long at all. The guy I bought the Laguna from said he had 3 people call him after I called and they all offered to buy it sight unseen!
    Thankfully he was a gentleman and let me have "dibs".

Ya gotta be fast.
    A neighbor recently moved cross country, and sold his pristine unisaw with lots of the fixtures and tools he used in his cabinet shop. It went for $700, and the buyer didn't secure it well, and it went tumbling down the road as they left his shop. If I had known it was for sale, I would have bought it, as it was in immaculate condition. I was told he never mentioned it to me because he knew I had a Powermatic. Oh well.