Thread: Optimum mobile dust collection for non-optimum machines?

Optimum mobile dust collection for non-optimum machines?

I am considering building a mobile version of the Harbor Freight+Thein baffle+ pleated filter dust collector. Most of the machines I have are not designed with dust collection in mind. These include A Walker Turner 18" band saw, a Makita 2030 jointer-planer and a Rockwell Model 10 contractor saw. I will be attempting to seal and cowl these machines as much as possible, but they will never be tightly sealed by any measure. My question is: What can I do on the collector end to improve collecting dust from these machines, beyond just pointing a 6" pipe at the cloud? Thanks, Woody

2. Interesting problem and not uncommon. My tools have the same problem and I am still looking to improve DC on them.

"What can I do on the collector end to improve collecting dust from these machines, beyond just pointing a 6" pipe at the cloud? Thanks, Woody "

Wry sense of humor buddy.....I like that. Keep it through this Dust Collection stuff. My advice, don't bite off too much at one time. This stuff is complicated and the more drops you attempt at one time especially knowing you are going to have a problem with sealing "clouds" the picture at the DC motor HP and impeller size end of things (pardon the pun). I don't know how many tools you are talking about but if it were me, and I had multiple tools, none of them set up for DC, I might start with the tool I either used the most or caused for whatever reason the most fine dust to be released into my environment. I could be wrong but you could be setting yourself up for more DC HP and impeller size than you would normally need just because you are going to have trouble sealing stuff up. So if you don't have the DC yet, I would buy a bit more DC HP than needed just for one tool figuring I could dial it in if I had to. Try to keep your run short from tool to Separator and from Separator to DC. While I am recommending that you start with one tool, your worst offender, and see if you can successfully work a system from that I would still at least keep a minds eye to what my next step will be if I succeed. You want to learn as much about how this stuff works as you can while solving the dust demons riddle from your worst tool. Also, try to get a break on the price of the DC. Try to make it something you can get out of without much pain if in fact you get to a point where the only way to integrate more drops successfully is by upping the anti at the DC end of things, where the motor and impeller reside. Unfortunately dust collection is not an environment where just going much bigger than you need, a brute force approach yields success. These systems will all function optimally within a range. Neither too little nor too much DC for the job is optimal to maintain fine dust flow all the way to where you want it collected. Length of hose, number of drops, system type all go into the equation which is in part why I am recommending that you keep it simple at the start.

One thing I forgot to mention:
    Since you are going mobile it looks like you are already accepting the idea of moving from tool to tool as need be instead of setting up multiple drops from your tools. I think that is a wise approach if that is where you are going with this given the nature of the tools as you have described them.
    Last edited by James Nugnes; 02-18-2015 at 11:13 AM.

I did not come up with a machine for you to buy in the last post. I guess if I was committed to an all on one cart solution I would either look at the Laguna Tools mobile units or maybe something like the Harbor Freight DC that so many people use as the basis for a mobile unit. Reorient the blower motor and impeller 90*, put a separator under the motor/impeller, get a canister filter and substitute it in for the bag filter and you are in business. That particular DC is 2HP. So you will need a 20amp line to service it. But you can still turn a 1.5HP unit from somebody into the same kind of deal. Probably end up into it for maybe $600 all done depending on what you decide to do for a separator.

People seem to like the Laguna Tools mobiles. Not really sure what I think of the ready to roll, mobile units design myself. I guess if I felt like I was just going to produce dust I would be OK with it. I probably should have given them more consideration when I was looking for a DC. Laguna has a 1.5HP mobile that will run off of standard house service for $999.00 and I probably should have given it more consideration myself. They have larger mobile units that run off of 20 amps as well. Happy with my current DC though. It is very quiet for one thing and I really wanted that. My power tools don't make much racket and neither does the DC. So even when I am working with power, I don't make much noise. Plus the inlet to the DC is 6" with adapters to take it down if you want to and I wanted that also. However the Laguna also has a 6" inlet and a 4" Y adapter that you can use or discard, a nice feature for a ready to roll mobile unit I think. It just makes more noise than my DC. It does not look like much on paper but with anything rated in dB, 7dB greater or less is a big number. So I probably paid more for mine than I should have but it is giving me what I want.

You can do better than just pointing the tube at the cloud.
    Bandsaw dust collection will be pretty easy under the table near the blade, probably have to reduce from 6"-4". The jointer/planer combo will be harder. The jointer usually ejects chips to the bottom of the machine. If that is the case with yours, a hole cut in the bottom with a 6" furnace take off will work. The planer you will have to consider the machines change over movements before any adaptations. Try Google images jointer/planer combo machine dust collection. Maybe someone has already adapted your machines.

A big cyclone with at least 3 hp will help a lot. A smaller dust collector will get some of the dust, but a bigger one will get more.

Is the OP considering building a mobile system because he is going to move hose from one tool to the next as he uses them? If so, then that Harbor Freight machine would seem like enough power for the job as long as you are able to cowl your tools and come up with decent outlet fixtures to the hose on your mobile DC. There are a number of examples, some at youtube of mobile systems built around that HF DC. All of the reports and reviews I have seen have been positive. So it would seem to me that you are barking up the right tree for a start as long as your intention is to go from tool to tool moving the hose from the DC as you go. Just make sure to ditch the bag filter immediately and get a canister filter for the HF.

I built a mobile system with the impeller mounted above a cyclone above a 55 gallon drum which connects to a WYNN Cannister filter on the side. I have it all on a mobile base and I move it from tool to tool. Can't permanently attach it to anything since I'm in an apartment garage so wheeling around is my only option.

Just spitballing here but;on the subject of hard to seal equipment....be aware of "noise" in the system,to borrow an audiophile term(I think?).Meaning,even with a very well developed dust hood/shroud there can be air movement coming from either the machine itself,or from another shop source,that can disturb the "flow" at the port.Also,whenever possible,let gravity work for you....at least as long as possible,WRT port design.For example,if we have to resort to pointing at the cloud(which is so true its funny sometimes)....which is better,having the duct over or under,the cloud.Good luck with your project.

Thanks for all the responses. I've done a little reading and have a few more questions.

If I am still "just pointing a 6" pipe at the cloud" would a belled intake be a worthwhile to integrate into the machine attachments?

If I can locate a used 3hp or more dust-collector as a base unit, I assume I will need to increase the area of available filter material. I have a small shop space, so I feel like on of the 2 bag collectors would take up a lot more floor space as well as the significant cost of purchasing 2 filters. Is there a simple formula to size these components?

Tim Campbell's fiberglass cowling work is inspiring and way ahead of any of the soup can and duct tape rigs I have to work with.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ick-disconnect

Eventually, I may dig out my composites box and give this a try in a nice burgundy shade of old epoxy .

More filter area would be good but if you don't increase the size you can increase the frequency of cleaning them to help