Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eggs!

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    I have trouble getting the white cooked on top with out flipping it over. I still get a soft yoke but really like the yoke to not be white on top from cooking the white that is over the yoke.Ma

ybe I am just confused as to what sunny side up is??

I think you have to break up the membrane that covers the egg white so the white runs off the top of a sunny side up egg. I've seen cooks gently use a spatula to pull off the clear white from the center toward the side of a cooking sunny-up egg.

I find the scrambled eggs in local restaurants too dry and too pale. Mom's eggs, scrambled or sunny side up, were cooked in a puddle of margarine.

My favorite way is soft poached, in plain water. No vinegar added in spite of what TV chefs say. Been poaching for decades and never used the dreaded vinegar.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I like eggs from the local farmer. They aren't white shells. Some are yellow, some brown, some even a green color. They free range all the time they are out. Good eggs, but I don't much care for the rooster. Scrambled or over-hard please.

Quote Originally Posted by Judson Green View Post
    Its as american as cheese burgers and apple pie.

Sold in slices too makes excellent grilled cheeses
    Count me in as a Velveeta fan

I'm a big fan of good cast iron...I'm originally from the South, after all...but I have no trouble cooking sunny eggs in other pans. Whichever I'm using, I put the lid on it to trap heat and steam that'll cook the tops of the eggs. I just watch that the white doesn't start creeping up the sides of the yolk.

While sunny side up is probably my favorite, I like 'em all sorts of ways: scrambled, over easy, poached, soft boiled, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    Pretty much anyway, but I was watching Barefoot Contessa making deviled eggs with smoked salmon. Yum. Gonna have to try those. Breakfast is more often over easy, though any form is good with me.
    Try eggs Benedict with smoked salmon instead of ham/bacon. Here's my take on it with some home smoked Funny River red salmon:

Click to enlarge

Quote Originally Posted by David Helm View Post
    My favorite way is soft poached, in plain water. No vinegar added in spite of what TV chefs say. Been poaching for decades and never used the dreaded vinegar.
    I poach in well salted water with or without just a touch of vinegar. When it's with, I use apple cider vinegar. The Wife® like the milder flavor better over white vinegar.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Fresh! And over-easy. Home fries. Bacon. English muffin, not too much butter!

Whether at home or restaurant over medium for me. Also like breaking the yolk, frying all firm and put on buttered toast. The one necessity: black pepper. If I cooked an egg and found no black pepper in the house the whole mess would go in the dog's dish.

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Well I don't drink coffee or need creamer, but the way you describe Velveeta makes it sound delicious. Is it fit for human digestion or is Ken just super-human?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    No to #1
    Yes to #2
    Rich,

Tasting good is subjective!

and Kent is wrong on both counts #1 & #2.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    I like my eggs cooked over hard. We use cast iron skillets and a touch of coconut oil.

PHM

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    Cholesterol in your food does not result in cholesterol in your blood stream.
    Thank You! The old, 'eat fat, get fat' meme is finally breaking.

Back on topic:

Runny eggs, eww!

Mopping it up with toast, double eww!

But opposites attract. I married a toast mopper.

I've learned to just look the other way.

Quickly...

I like my eggs scrambled the majority of the time. If I cook eggs I never use anything in the pan other than eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I like my eggs scrambled the majority of the time. If I cook eggs I never use anything in the pan other than eggs.
    I gotta put a little butter in first. No margarine allowed in the house - butter.
    Copper btm pan distributes the heat evenly, extremely low heat. Heat kills eggs.
    Plate them 30 seconds before they are done, because they keep cooking as you race them to the table.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Having been around those uncouth animals that produce eggs far too long, my appetite for them is quite low. I'm with Howard though, I want mine no longer looking like an egg, and cooked enough to kill the nastiness.
    Wow, I grew up on a poultry farm (egg production) and I feel the exact same way. I can't even look at a partially cooked egg.

I do like fried chicken, however.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Judson Green View Post
    How do you prefer your eggs?

Lately I've been trying to prefect my hand at sunny side up - just a little crisp on the outer edges with a well done white and soft yoke. Not as easy as it would seem, as least for me.
    My dear egg, how do I love thee? It is beyond me to count all the ways.

Though when it comes to breakfast sunny side up has been a favorite since my mother made them for me as a child. She would cut the toast into fingers. I do not recall her doing this for any of my four brothers. They didn't like them sunny side up, so that may have been the reason. She used the afore mentioned method of coaxing some bacon grease on to the whites to get them to firm.

A friend who taught me a lot about cooking told me to use sesame oil for eggs. So that has become my preferred oil in the pan for eggs no matter how they are prepared. Next is to use a heat just below where the egg sizzles. If you like a little crisp around the edges then turn it up just enough so it sizzles as it first drops in the pan. To help firm up the whites cover the pan. My preferred lids are clear. Whenever we are shopping in second hand stores we look for these to see if there are some sizes we do not have.

This picture was taken just before the whites were fully firm:

Picture 5.jpg

These were store bought eggs back before we moved to Washington and got our own chickens. Our fresh eggs stand a little taller and the yolks are a little deeper orange.

Seemed to have some problems with an old image file and had to recreate a new image. Whew, at least there was a way to make it work.

Currently I use a spun steel flat bottomed pan. It is my favorite, but it is not difficult to use cast iron or a teflon pan. If they are being cooked at someone else's home, I make do with what they have.

The way I have been making them lately is with a ring to keep the eggs round when cooked. Then it goes on a muffin toasted under the broiler. When the muffin is slightly browned mustard is added, then a slice of ham is set on one side and a slice of cheese on the other. If one gets the sequence worked out by starting the egg then the muffin the egg should be done just as the cheese is melted. YUM!

BTW, I have only been to one restaurant where they actually were able to make decent sunny side up eggs, Bette's Oceanview Diner on Fourth St. in Berkeley, CA. The also make great omelets, soft in the French style.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 02-19-2015 at 3:21 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I get my eggs from "walking around" chickens a friend of mine has. Store bought production eggs suck.

I just stole Kents quote from above because it fits, and because I'm lazy.

"I gotta put a little butter in first. No margarine allowed in the house - butter.
    Copper btm pan distributes the heat evenly, extremely low heat. Heat kills eggs.
    Plate them 30 seconds before they are done, because they keep cooking as you race them to the table. "