Thread: Rabbet Block Plane

Rabbet Block Plane

Looking for a one-handed, bevel-up Rabbet plane like the LN 60 ... and assumed there'd be a Veritas equivalent ... but can't find it. What other options do I have? In my searches it looks like LV only produces a right/left skew for a block size. If I am right handed, do I want the right or left? When I look at the LV catalog it shows the "left" as a right handed tool cutting against a tenon cheek on the left (near my left hand).

That is all they have, but it's a superior design in several ways; so you live with the tradeoffs. Hard to answer the "handed" question. Think about how you might hold/use it, and go from there.

This is what Lee Valley says is the left hand model ... to me, that is counterintuitive. I would hold this in my right hand and hold the work with my left, and push away with the blade right up against the cheek of the tenon. How am I thinking about this wrong?

http://www.veritastools.com/Products/Page.aspx?p=515
    Attached Images Attached Images

What's the matter with the LN model? I have one. It works fine with either hand.(Well,better in my left hand,since I am left handed,but that's not LN's fault).

Nothing wrong ... and partially because of that, it would seem more flexible. I also have a 102 and love it. So I think the "sideless" block would be a natural. I'm righty but sometimes have been known to pull a plane as well as push. So the LN would be more flexible. I guess I'm just trying to figure out what the LV competitive product is.

I am right-handed and have the Veritas left hand skew block. I use it to fit tenons: hold the workpiece flat on the bench against a stop with my left hand and push the plane across the tenon cheek with my right hand. The left hand skew pulls the plane left to the shoulder. The skew takes a smooth crossgrain cut. Works great for right-hander. Nothing wrong with the LN rabbet but I like the skew.

I have the LN tool, works fine.

Bill -

The plane's LH v RH doesn't translate to you being left-handed or right handed. It tells you on which side of the plane body the iron is justified. The "Inside" cutting edge, if you will.

So - yeah - the way you describe it, you would use a LH plane for your right hand - which I think makes the most sense, if you think about it

If you use a RH plane in your RH, the workpiece will be extended to the right of the plane, and that seems clumsy.

It's entirely up to you.

However - they - LV + LN both - will tell you that if you get the pair, you will be able to work in both directions without re-clamping the stock.

Never made sense to me, but - heck - who am I?

FWIW, I have an LN LA block/rabbet, and an LN Skew block/rabbet. Both are great, as one would expect. My LA rabbet, unfortunately, pre-dates nicker availability. But - that's OK - still can do what I need it to do - tuning tenon faces into the dead corner with the shoulder - don't need the nicker for that bit.

I also have the LN std angle block. And a beautifully refurbed Keen Cutter K220. An embarrassment of riches. I don't have any legit explanation. For gen-purpose block plane work, one is as good as another, so I grab the [a] closest one or [b] the sharpest one. "Lazy" is the word for it.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

The correct interpretation of right hand vs left hand is quite simple.

You would use the right hand version from the right end of a board across moving towards the left.

You would use the left hand version from the left end of a board moving towards the right.

Either hand may be used or both if you wish.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

I have the LN Rabbet Block Plane w/o the nicker. Love it for general use and rabbets. I could probably give up the other 15-18 block planes I've accumulated and only use the LN.

LN will retrofit older planes with nickers. It's been awhile since I looked into it so I won't quote a price. I decided to skip it.

Charlie, Kent, Hilton, Dan - thanks for the feedback - confirms what I was thinking. (Charlie - what you described is how I would use it). The LN seems more flexible, and it sounds like I'm unlikely to regret the purchase.