Thread: New Project = New Tools Mini-Gloat

New Project = New Tools Mini-Gloat

I've been asked by a neighbor to shorten a couple tall cabinet doors. (I don't mind doing freebie projects for this neighbor...he's the local Snap-On tool salesman, and it seems prudent to have a few favors in the bank with him.) The doors in question conceal the washer/dryer nook in the utility room. Neighbor and his wife got a new front-loading washer and dryer, and being deeper than "regular" washers and dryers, they stick out past the frame of the nook. The neighbors would like the bottom 4' or so of the doors to be trimmed off, so they can close the doors to cover the shelves above the appliances. Looks like it'll be a pretty easy project, but I plan to reattach the bottom 3" or so after trimming, to reconstruct the frame of the door. (Rail? Stile? I'm unclear on the terminology.) Whatever it's called, I need to do an edge joint that will involve some end grain to end grain jointery. Strength isnt real important for this one, but I figure I need something more than just glue.

Anyway, like any other self-respecting woodwhacker, I used the neighbor's request as an opportunity to add to the tool collection. Problem was, I couldn't decide if I should use a biscuit joiner or a pocket hole jig to reattach the bottom of the doors. I've been eyeing both for quite a while but didn't know which to go with. So, I took the easy way out and got both tools. My Penn State pocket hole jig arrived a couple days ago, and the Dewalt 682 biscuit joiner showed up today. (And of course now Tool King has the refurb model in stock -- it wasn't available when I ordered.)

Here are a couple pics to satisfy the Picture Police...First, the DW682. Nothing fancy, but seems to be well-liked here on the Creek. I couldn't justify the additional cost for the Porter-Cable 557 that many of the pros here are using. For my limited use, I think this one will last me a long time. And the case doubles as a handy spare bedroom for overnight guests. (It's the huge one with space for the RO sander. It'll end up in the attic soon. Or maybe I can use it as a second attic to store other junk in.)

Truth be told, this is the second biscuit joiner I've bought in the past week. The first was a Lowe's house brand (GMC) that I bought last weekend. The $99 price was too much to pass up, but after getting it home and seeing how poorly engineered it was -- it worked, but I had to monkey around with it quite a bit just to get the fence to stay in place -- I took it back for a refund Monday.

Also as the result of what I'd read here at SMC, I decided to give the Penn State jig a spin. At about half the cost of a Kreg system, the price was the main factor, but I'm very happy with the jig itself, too. Having never used a Kreg, I have nothing to compare it to, but I'm impressed with the fit and finish of the Penn State, and it was very easy for me to get excellent results on my first try. The instructions were pretty brief, but it's not exactly rocket science anyway, so they were sufficient.

Now with this one, the case stays in service. It's well-made and everything fits in it handily.

I guess there's a third (and perhaps fourth) tool gloat hidden in these pics, too. You can see the router plate I recently added to my home-made table saw extension, and you can even see a little glimpse (literally a bit) of the P-C 694VK router I added to the mix about the same time. I've now decided my little 12" table saw extension is a little too shallow for a decent router table, so I plan to drop a bigger one in soon. I have the Rockler table top (the TS extension size), but have to make some modifications to it before I can attach it to my saw.

Unless I completely butcher the neighbor's doors, I'll post pics when I do them. And if I do mess them up, I'll likely be posting pictures of the doors I'll have to make to replace them.

- Vaughn
    Last edited by Vaughn McMillan; 07-29-2005 at 2:25 AM.

Awesome Vaughn. I am sure both will be great additions to the shop. And just maybe you will get some good karma back from the Snap On guy back in the form of tools

Corey

Photographically correct Gloat Vaughn! Congrats on the new tools! You realize now you have trouble making the decision as to which of those two tools to use for this and future projects!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Vaughn, good for you! I'm sure you'll get a lot of use out of them in the future as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald
    ...You realize now you have trouble making the decision as to which of those two tools to use for this and future projects!
    I was thinkin' of using a combination of pocket screws and biscuits to hold my dovetailed rabbet joints (done on the router table, of course) while the glue is drying. Er...maybe not.

- Vaughn

Aaah Ha, I see they've made the Biscuit Jointer Case out of plastic now instead of metal like mine, Buuuuut.....it seems a lot larger than mine. I think you'll like the machine, if it gives you anywhere near the service mine has. That Penn State pocket jig in the picture looks even more durable than my Kreg, so Congratulations on all the new "Goodies", and good luck on the upcoming door project.

You're sure right about holding some "IOU's" from a SnapOn Man, (That's a Good Thing)
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Talking

hi vaughn, nice tool gloat. looks like a ts3650 under them. if so where did you get the zci for it. i need one . thanks
    never regret growing old, it's a privilege denied many

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Becknell
    hi vaughn, nice tool gloat. looks like a ts3650 under them. if so where did you get the zci for it. i need one . thanks
    Good eye, Thomas. It is indeed the TS3650...more pics here for anyone who's interested. I got the ZCI from Rockler, and have been happy with it. The levelling screws were too short, but it was nothing a quick trip to the hardware store and a couple of bucks couldn't handle. I previously had HDPE inserts, but I was having problems getting (and keeping) them flat and flush. I still need to install the MJ splitter on the new ZCI.

- Vaughn

Vaughn, loved the saw commentary... especially the titles. Nice saw by the way!

Corey

i like the extention table. i want to build one for my ts3650 but i want to put a router under it. i bought mine becaus of the cast wings to. was wondering how to install the the table. thanks to you i now know how. i will make mine out of the same material i made dp table with
    Last edited by Thomas Becknell; 07-30-2005 at 12:01 AM. Reason: adding to it

I know I'm threadjacking, but I started the thread anyway, so...

Thomas, here are a few more detailed shots of how I attached the extension table. Someone else here asked me about these a few weeks ago, so for the benefit of any TS3650 owners out there:

The aluminum angle is attached with regular hex bolts and nuts to the edge of the cast iron extension. (The three holes were easy to drill.) I used short machine screws and whatever nuts I could find that fit (don't recall the size) to attach the angle to the t-slots in the front and back rails, just like the cast extensions attach. If I recall correctly, some were square and some were hex. (I just dug them out of the pile o' screws and nuts I inherited somewhere along the line.) There's enough slop in the t-slots that I can adjust the brackets up and down about 1/8" for final leveling. Tightened firmly, they haven't moved.

To fit the 1 1/2" thick extension over the aluminum, I rabbeted the edges like this:

I'm going to do a similar treatment to the bottom of the Rockler RT insert. I haven't decided yet whether to trim down the oak frame from the factory (after replacing the screws with biscuits) or to simply laminate a 3" or 4" band of 3/4" MDF around the bottom edge then rabbet it to provide enough of a "shoulder" to raise the RT flush with everything else. I'm also scheming of ways to add some vertical support to this end of the saw...I'm hanging quite a bit off this one side.

I hope this helps -

- Vaughn

thanks vaughn, that info & pics helped a lot. temps down to 80's so a good time to start mine. will post pics while in progress.